R.I.P Dale Roberts

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
bedforddiamond

Re: R.I.P Dale Roberts

Post by bedforddiamond »

Words cannot describe my thoughts regarding this sad, sad loss. Dale was a fantastic person and an oustanding contributor to Rushden & Diamonds FC. He always had time for a smile and a word with everyone that approached him.

Such a horrible day for the Club today, having been at a funeral led by Roger Knight and attended by both the past and present Chairman, this morning, to return home to hear this news makes me appreciate how unfair life can be.

RIP Dale Roberts, I cannot imagine how your family and friends feel to lose such a kind and caring person at such a young age x
Steve

Post by Steve »

Speechless.

A post on a forum doesn't do it justice, but I would like to repeat the words of many before me during this terrible time.

I can honestly say in 6 years, Dale was my favourite player, not just from a footballing point of view but, without actually meeting him, he seemed a friendly, enthusiastic and cheerful person. I agree with the idea of retiring the number 1 shirt, and/or renaming a stand.

He will never be forgotten.
Rdfc91

Post by Rdfc91 »

A top man who always had time for the fans and had a laugh!

R.I.P Dale
TwinkleToesTomlin
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by TwinkleToesTomlin »

Football aside, the most down to earth, kindest lad you could meet. Had time for everyone, and always shared a smile. A credit to his family.

My thoughts are with his family and friends.

Rest in Peace Dale x
A true outlaw finds the balance between the passion in his heart and the reason in his mind. The outcome is the balance of might and right.
Dukes

Post by Dukes »

Tragic - have own children of his age - our thoughts to his parents.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 145 times

Post by BartonRaz »

It would be very easy to come on and say that Dale was the most popular player we've ever had, but he's certainly right up there with the likes of Duane. A truely great bloke.

I'm concerned that nothing official is being said in terms of the cause, I've got a bad feeling about it :cry: .

What can we as fans do? A collection for his family? I'm not great with ideas for these sort of things. Alternatively as a club we could retire the No1 shirt / name a stand / players wear Roberts on the backs of their shirts for the forseeable future.
Last edited by BartonRaz on Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Pigman
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by Pigman »

I've been out all evening at an awards presentation dinner, I've only just got home, but I was sent the news via a text - I'm truly gutted, speechless, those that know me will testify this doesn't happen often.

A true loss to the football club and anyone who knew him, my thoughts are with his family tonight who must be truly devastated. Words can't express how they will be feeling tonight. I'm sat here shaking my head thinking how sad it is to lose someone so young and so talented - words can't express the feeling of loss we and his colleagues at the football club will be feeling tonight - it certainly puts things into perspective doesn't it?

I lost my father 20 months ago and this brings back just how hard it is to lose someone you love, the sense of loss being felt by his family tonight will be immense - my condolences and thoughts to you all !!

The number 1 shirt should be retired at our club as a mark of respect, it'll be a constant reminder to us all that we have lost not just a great player, but a thoroughly decent bloke.

RIP Dale, god has recruited a real gem for his side today !! :(
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
D14MNDS

Post by D14MNDS »

Sad sad day. A forum post definitely doesn't do justice. Dale Roberts one of the finest we ever had.
I'm concerned that nothing official is being said in terms of the cause, I've got a bad feeling about it
Although irrelevant now, i have thought the same thing, although sky sports news have said that he died instantly (whether they have got this info from i don't know)

RIP Dale - No.1
Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

I've had another message, this time from an Oxford United fan:

Dear Alan

I am writing to offer my deepest sympathy to the family of Mr Roberts, to Rushden & Diamonds FC and to your supporters at this very sad time.

As an Oxford United supporter and football fan, I watched Mr Roberts play on a number of occasions - each time he showed a great deal of ability and professionalism. This sudden death will be a huge blow for the world of football.

Please pass on my thoughts to all those that knew and loved Mr Roberts at this terribly difficult time.

Kind regards

Jamie Clutterbuck - Oxford United fan
Head PGA Professional
The Springs Hotel and Golf Club
Oxfordshire
AFCR&D Member Number 38 - Proud member of a Community Football Club, currently in exile in West Wales!
ID

Post by ID »

Absolutely tragic news.

I received a text from a Diamonds fan tonight and was truly stunned. This sort of news puts all other discussion into perspective.

The comments (especially from K*ttering fans on their forum), and forum requests from opposition fans which I have just received, is heartwarming, and will be hopefully forwarded onto Dale's family in due course.

Here is an interview with Dale for the Diamonds' Blog - link - which shows how much of a gentleman, and a Diamonds legend, Dale really was.

My thoughts are with his family and friends at this time.
RUSHDEN and DIAMONDS