Oliver Thorne

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 144 times

Re: Oliver Thorne

Post by BartonRaz »

He was in our youth team:

http://www.mkdons.com/page/NewsDetail/0 ... 88,00.html

Picture of him also, although it is a few years old. 4 and a half years old infact.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

It looks like he would only have just turned 16 when he left the Diamonds Academy / Youth Setup - there's no mention of him in any of the Youth Team reports, although they weren't as comprehensive as they are these days.

He didn't face us whilst at FGR as he was sent off in the game before we faced them at the New Lawn the end of 2009.
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Post by davealbon »

BartonRaz wrote:He was in our youth team:

http://www.mkdons.com/page/NewsDetail/0 ... 88,00.html

Picture of him also, although it is a few years old. 4 and a half years old infact.
Fair enough! In my defence, he was released at the end of his U16 year according to the franchise website, so never actually signed a YTS contract with us. My loyalty on stretches as far as the Youth Team! ;)
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
STAGMAN
Been Liked: 13 times

Post by STAGMAN »

Been well involved with the youth team for about 8 yrs now and i do not remeber his name at all, but he does sound of the type of large centre back we need
Oundle Diamond #2

Post by Oundle Diamond #2 »

STAGMAN wrote:Been well involved with the youth team for about 8 yrs now and i do not remeber his name at all, but he does sound of the type of large centre back we need
I don't recognise his name either!
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 144 times

Post by BartonRaz »

From a non-league forum:

"Had heard early last week that he was off. Cracking defender, the best we have at the moment. Apparent fall out with Burr may be the reason he's gone...but I wouldn't be 100% sure on that one."

Also:

"Seems to read the game well, decent tackler, but not great at heading despite his height and tends to lunge into challenges (expect red cards I think). Also likes to run with the ball, which can be good but can also leave you susceptible on the break. Overall, I think he has potential and expected Burr to get the best out of him.... but it looks like that's not going to happen now."
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Mad Dog
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by Mad Dog »

BartonRaz wrote:From a non-league forum:

"Had heard early last week that he was off. Cracking defender, the best we have at the moment. Apparent fall out with Burr may be the reason he's gone...but I wouldn't be 100% sure on that one."

Also:

"Seems to read the game well, decent tackler, but not great at heading despite his height and tends to lunge into challenges (expect red cards I think). Also likes to run with the ball, which can be good but can also leave you susceptible on the break. Overall, I think he has potential and expected Burr to get the best out of him.... but it looks like that's not going to happen now."
Link to above and Kiddy boards:

http://liveforfootball.co.uk/grassroots ... pic=2379.0

http://www.harriers-online.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=5827

@FAO the Kidderminster lurker currently online: It would be great to hear your thoughts. :)
Harriersno1fan

Post by Harriersno1fan »

Harriers fan here, Thorne has been class for us this season. On his day as good as any Centre back in the league , young , strong , wins every header and good in possession . Hopefully this is just a rumor as would be a huge blow to our playoff ambitions if true. Got injured in November and the manager hasn't put him back in since , nobody knows why as he's a lot better than what else we have. If you have managed to secure his signature then you've got yourselves a very good player.
Cotty
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Cotty »

I think we should wait until contracts are signed and registration with the BSP is completed before we start judging the lad - at the moment it's only rumour and speculation. If we do manage to get him he sounds quite promising and may fill the gap left by Simon Downer.
Jemfy

Post by Jemfy »

Sounds promising if true. The type of player JE likes to go for - comfortable with the ball at his feet - as well as having the physical attributes we miss from time to time. Seems strange to be signing him on loan though. If this goes through then I would say we have the personel when fit for the back line to work, next problems are midfield, and possibly a goalscorer.