AFC RD announce the inaugural Dale Roberts Memorial Cup

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
bozzer
Has Liked: 34 times
Been Liked: 51 times

AFC RD announce the inaugural Dale Roberts Memorial Cup

Post by bozzer »

AFC Rushden and Diamonds announce the inaugural Dale Roberts Memorial Cup

AFC Rushden and Diamonds are proud to announce the inaugural Dale Roberts memorial cup to take place on Sunday 14th August at Kiln Park Raunds. NN9 6EQ KO 1pm

The Dale Roberts Memorial Cup will be played annually at alternating venues between AFC Rushden and Diamonds Under 18 and Cleveland Juniors Under 18 and is held in honour of Dale who represented both of the teams.

The Guests of honour will be George and Isabel Roberts and Dave and Sonia Johnson (parents of England International Adam Johnson who was Dale’s teammate and close friend at Cleveland Juniors). George Blake who was Dale and Adams coach will be bringing Cleveland Juniors down for this historic match.

The AFC Rushden and Diamonds Number 1 goalkeeper shirt will be officially retired and presented to the Roberts family before the match.

Gates open at 10.30am
Adults: £5 minimum donation
Under 16: free
All proceeds will go to the Dale Roberts Memorial Fund

AFC Rushden and Diamonds will also be officially launching their new kit for 2011-2013.

A Fun day will also be held during the day with more events to be announced shortly.

Bouncy castle
Inflatable Games
Side Stalls
Refreshments
Bar
Food and Snacks

George and Isabel Roberts said regarding the retiring of the No1 shirt, “It is a lovely gesture not only for our family but for the fans and we would support it all the way”
With regard to the Dale Roberts Memorial Cup “we will always be there as that is where our son’s heart will always be”
They also added “Dale would want us to stand alongside AFC Rushden and Diamonds to get the back to where it belongs”

See here - http://www.thediamondsforum.co.uk/viewt ... 194#p46194 for downloadable poster.
AFC R&D Member No. 67
The Godfather
Been Liked: 2 times

Re: AFC RD announce the inaugural Dale Roberts Memorial Cup

Post by The Godfather »

I'll bring the banner.
"In Sicily, women are more dangerous than shotguns."
Rankine's Nose

Post by Rankine's Nose »

Really, really great stuff! :D
AFC R&D - Member 382
StaceyH
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 20 times

Post by StaceyH »

The Godfather wrote:I'll bring the banner.
*like*
R.I.P Dale....always and forever in our hearts
Diamond Warrior

Post by Diamond Warrior »

Really pleased that this has been sorted. Such a great gesture and will hopefully have a good turn-out. I put it on Twitter and almost immediately, 'FC Business Magazine' have retweeted it to over 4,100 followers.

Has anyone contacted Notts Forest about this? Maybe even Eastwood and Alfreton as well. Possibly able to get something on the Blue Square website.

Will a programme be produced for this? It might be a good momento for the day. I could help out if needed.
corby diamond
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by corby diamond »

Great news, but absolutely gutted that i wont be able to attend, but will be thinking of him anyways...

Is this the kit the youth team will wear, or will it be for the senior team aswell, sorry just a bit slow :D

Whats the smallest size available, I need one for my little one due in february ;)
AFC Rushden and Diamonds Membership Number - 60
TwinkleToesTomlin
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by TwinkleToesTomlin »

Brilliant Brilliant news! :D

Im sure Dale will be watching down smiling and applauding every save! :)

Good idea, to maybe try and contact Dale's other previous clubs, they've have always been very supportive!
A true outlaw finds the balance between the passion in his heart and the reason in his mind. The outcome is the balance of might and right.
Rankine's Nose

Post by Rankine's Nose »

If possible (I have no idea about the logistics) what about trying to organise a mini fans tournament? Fans could represent us, Nottingham Forest, Alfreton and Eastwood in a little round-robin competition. Maybe even get a Dale XI made up of friends and ex-teammates?

Great stuff anyway, I'm sure it'll mean a great deal to his parents.
AFC R&D - Member 382
Diamond Warrior

Post by Diamond Warrior »

Rankine's Nose wrote:If possible (I have no idea about the logistics) what about trying to organise a mini fans tournament? Fans could represent us, Nottingham Forest, Alfreton and Eastwood in a little round-robin competition. Maybe even get a Dale XI made up of friends and ex-teammates?

Great stuff anyway, I'm sure it'll mean a great deal to his parents.
Horden Colliery Welfare sent their interest to me when we had the original discussions about a memorial match. Horden is the village that Dale is from.
DiamondEejit

Post by DiamondEejit »

Diamond Warrior wrote:Has anyone contacted Notts Forest about this? Maybe even Eastwood and Alfreton as well. Possibly able to get something on the Blue Square website.
I would be surprised if they weren't willing to provide a youth team of mixture of youths and reserves for this...
"Reputations mean nothing here, come any where near me on that pitch and I'll kick you over the far stand."

♦Dale Roberts♦ - Forever and always Rushden's number 1