Some thoughts...........

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Pigman
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Some thoughts...........

Post by Pigman »

.....please. I'm going to sit down tonight and draft some programme notes (meant to do them last night, but I perfected the art of procrastination ;) ). Now normally I just write about what I feel, but is there anything you'd like to see, any suggestions as to what you'd like me to write about? Happy to do a bit of research if needed .....................otherwise you'll get my normal ramblings :D

Also, with my Fans Rep hat on, are there any questions or queries you have, or have heard others raise? I can't promise, but if you PM me I'll do my best to get you an answer :D
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Re: Some thoughts...........

Post by Formic »

You could consider the fact that it was the 12-month anniversary yesterday of the day the point-of-no-return was passed for the old club - the defeat against Yeovil ending the impressive run, capping the budget, and in my view settling the fate of the club.

You can then look at what is happening a year on, and there are still problems at Wrexham, with Darlington and Grimsby also looking extremely financially troubled, and lesser clubs such as Wakefield having only a week or two to survive. There are plenty of tales of unpaid staff, players being asked to take a pay cut, chairmen theatening libel action against the fans etc.

You could also look at the situation at Truro City, and consider their problems alongside the Plymouth takeover (noting they are run by a West Country Property Developer who has previously been in financial difficulties).

There is also St Neots Town who have also made cutbacks recently - removing their reserve side from their league mid-season - and even closer to home there are ongoing issues at Rothwell.

I'll send you a PM with a question in your Fans Rep role.
easystreet

Post by easystreet »

Its a tough financial world at the moment and I think all clubs will feel it apart from the Man Citys etc of this world.

Dont see it getting better for a while, maybe even another year of penny pinching by alot.

Football clubs, fans, players etc also need to be realistic otherwise many will not be here to tell the tale.
Bob's Bitch
Has Liked: 32 times
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Bob's Bitch »

Formic wrote:You could consider the fact that it was the 12-month anniversary yesterday of the day the point-of-no-return was passed for the old club - the defeat against Yeovil ending the impressive run, capping the budget, and in my view settling the fate of the club.
So we effectively did a K*ttering then? I have to say I don't remember noticing the budget being capped/cut at that point, I don't even remember that being mentioned by anyone after that defeat?
R.I.P Dale. We will never forget you.

AFC R&D - Member No. 46
Formic

Post by Formic »

The budget was capped in that there was to be no extra money from an FA Cup run - and less than a month later the Beasants were brought in.
Trek
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

Formic wrote:The budget was capped in that there was to be no extra money from an FA Cup run - and less than a month later the Beasants were brought in.
It's seems that was the point that KC decided to get shot of the Club. Some people remarked seeing him in Strikers after the match with his chin on the floor.
ChorltonV

Post by ChorltonV »

what about reprinting your post on this very website from a couple of years ago when you effectively resigned as a fan of the old R&D. A little introspection would be nice to see and help to illustrate the rollercoaster ride all us fans are on. This is not meant as a dig by the way, and I have the utmost respect for you Piggers. Be interesting to see the full gamut of emotions.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No.318
Bob's Bitch
Has Liked: 32 times
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Bob's Bitch »

Trek wrote:
Formic wrote:The budget was capped in that there was to be no extra money from an FA Cup run - and less than a month later the Beasants were brought in.
It's seems that was the point that KC decided to get shot of the Club. Some people remarked seeing him in Strikers after the match with his chin on the floor.
Little things like this interest me, in a sort of morbid fascination, because there seems to be loads to the last few years that hasn't been told (and probably never will). I can't help but look back at the period between April and July every couple of weeks or so (especially nearly every Saturday when I'm bored shitless) to see if there's anything I missed. Is anyone else feeling as shit as I am every Saturday/Tuesday? :cry:
R.I.P Dale. We will never forget you.

AFC R&D - Member No. 46
Formic

Post by Formic »

Unless Cousins decides to reveal all, in a book, we won't know the full story of how he did the deal with the Trust, why he brought in Westley, why he got rid of Westley, how involved Colin Hill really was, why he didn't sack Garry Hill after the Evesham defeat or the Salisbury incident, what end games were discussed in his meetings with Ladak over the years, what the intentions were regarding the hotel, why his various marketing initiatives didn't get far, how he sterilised the Trust, what really happened in the Leon Knight and Daryl Clare affairs, why he said what he did at the press conference to introduce the Beasants etc.

In several of those I've heard more than one explanation given by people who might have had access to the true facts, so don't know which one might be correct.
Pigman
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by Pigman »

ChorltonV wrote:what about reprinting your post on this very website from a couple of years ago when you effectively resigned as a fan of the old R&D. A little introspection would be nice to see and help to illustrate the rollercoaster ride all us fans are on. This is not meant as a dig by the way, and I have the utmost respect for you Piggers. Be interesting to see the full gamut of emotions.
Which one was that Chorlton, when I threw my toys out of the pram re: ticket pricing? ;) :lol:

I stand by that, its wasn't the amount that offended me, it was the fact that we, as a club, appeared to be capitulating without a fight to a stupid rule that isn't applied anywhere else in football apart from in the BSP.

I never resigned as a fan of the club, just refused to pay and followed the club away from home only until the New Year when I purchased a half season ticket - but I still believe it was wrong to charge standing fans the same as seated fans and feel it is STILL a stupid and unfair rule, but I was obviously in a minority in those feelings eh?

Can't think of any other time, apart from the feeling of great depression I felt at the end of Tippett's tenure when going to football was akin to a trip to the dentist and having a root canal without any anesthetic.........but I stuck with it then ;)
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51