Let the good times roll!!!!

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
ChorltonV

Let the good times roll!!!!

Post by ChorltonV »

Following a fantastic week with all the positivity surrounding AFCR&D and glorifying in the magic of Karma and how Kettrin now find themselves wallowing in a large vat of shit that's about to be topped up with an unfeasably large consignment of extra shit delivered by the big shit wagon. I feel the need to share in some of the magic moments that made up 20 years following the best short-lived football club ever and laying bare the assumption that longevity actually means anything at all.

It would be easy to rake up the 'old' Darby-brace at the Rockinghorse, the night when 10-man Rushden gave KTFC a footballing masterclass. But I'd like to offer up one of my own personal favourites. It came in the same Conference winning season (a trophy by the way that will always have the name R&D engraved upon it despite attempts by some to erase our legacy completely) and a trip to windswept Morecambe. TBH I've a feeling that at best we only came away with a point that day, and it may have been even less than that, however it was a game that bore witness to a certain Jean Michell-Sigere's blunderbusting dipping strike from about 40 yards out that even to this day is up there with the greatest goals ever scored by a Diamonds player. It may have been bettered by Carel Van Der Veldens overhead goal against Shelbourne in Dublin that was witnessed by about 5 Diamonds fans (you'll have to take my word for it, it was a peach (although I was ****ing leathered on the black stuff)). However, the goal aside, my abiding memory was the chicken and mushroom pie that, despite me being on crutches and nursing a broken leg, I managed with admirable accuracy to fling through the open window of the Morecambe directors box that, in those days, was foolishly located in the middle of the away fans terrace. A simple pleasure for sure, but one that raises my spirits all these years later.

There you have it, please feel free to add your own favourite moments below.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No.318
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 144 times

Re: Let the good times roll!!!!

Post by BartonRaz »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkhYbzlOhWI

Wasn't that one was it? ;)

Loads of good moments. In a top-3 order....

3: Setanta Shield Final.

Can't thank Garry Hill for much, but can thank him for taking that competition seriously and providing us with one of the most entertaining games i've seen. Well, extra-time at least. The atmosphere in that end of the ground - with both sets of fans in the same terrace - was unreal, and I remember Ranks nodding the ball over the line and a group of 20-30 of us just starting sprinting about in delerium. A surreal moment. I thought at one point I was having a heart attack. I remember a few women stood infront of me running for their lives. If you pause this video at around 45 seconds you can see all the celebrations in action. :lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJprWTNV ... re=related

2: Billy Sharp V Cobblers.

Still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when I watch it on youtube. I can remember Billy Sharp running through on goal like it was yesterday, and remember seeing the ball slide past Harper and in to the net. Without doubt the highest point in what was two truly miserable years. The silence in the away end was deafening at the end.

1: Mansfield 1-4 Rushden.

I don't know what it was about this game but i've never ever forgotten it. Everything about it. Basically the only think you need to know is that Onandi Lowe, in a game we were expected to lose, tore Mansfield a collective new arsehole. Rarely have I seen a man dominate a game and bully a defence like that man did that day. Call him what you like, lazy, terrible attitude, but as far as i'm concerned we had a Premier League quality striker on our hands in LEAGUE TWO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo8I4S7Ik8I
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
ChorltonV

Post by ChorltonV »

that's the bugger, although it looked a lot better from behind the goal. I was right behind it as it came dipping into the net. Unfortunately the Northants TV cameras didn't capture the pie-ing incident, which is a huge dissapointment.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No.318
Bob's Bitch
Has Liked: 32 times
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Bob's Bitch »

In no particular order:

Setanta Shield Final - When they went 3-1 my Dad said "That's game over then" and I agreed. Then the Burgess penalty, cool as f*** after missing that one in normal time. Then... "Cross it Tommo... oh........RANKS! AHHHHHHHHHHH!!" *pandemonium*

Also memorable for the one penalty that Dale just got his fingertips onto but couldn't keep out. Always replay it in my mind. Also Curtis Woodhouse giving his runners-up medal to a little girl. :)

Billy Sharp vs Cobblers - Anyone remember those utter Cobblers twats in hospitality. They soon piped down after their cheers at 1-2. Oh and I can still picture the moments just after the goal when you watched the away fans just evaporate down the stairs and into the car park. :)

Billy Sharp vs Boston - Just awesome, standing ovation when he came off, everyone standing up and asking "who put the ball in the Cobblers' net?"

K*ttering, Gateshead and Luton in the 09/10 season - Just sublime performances, I will never tire of waxing lyrical about that side. I know the Tomlin goal against Luton is on Youtube but I really wish that the Byrne one was on as well, because the finish was just exquisite.

I'll think of some others later. :)
R.I.P Dale. We will never forget you.

AFC R&D - Member No. 46
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 144 times

Post by BartonRaz »

Speaking of Mark Byrne, his goal against Cobblers today was sublime. Definitely worth a look on the football league show later.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
olio

Post by olio »

Sara Pascoe wrote:In no particular order:

Setanta Shield Final - When they went 3-1 my Dad said "That's game over then" and I agreed. Then the Burgess penalty, cool as f*** after missing that one in normal time. Then... "Cross it Tommo... oh........RANKS! AHHHHHHHHHHH!!" *pandemonium*

Also memorable for the one penalty that Dale just got his fingertips onto but couldn't keep out. Always replay it in my mind. Also Curtis Woodhouse giving his runners-up medal to a little girl. :)

Billy Sharp vs Cobblers - Anyone remember those utter Cobblers twats in hospitality. They soon piped down after their cheers at 1-2. Oh and I can still picture the moments just after the goal when you watched the away fans just evaporate down the stairs and into the car park. :)

Billy Sharp vs Boston - Just awesome, standing ovation when he came off, everyone standing up and asking "who put the ball in the Cobblers' net?"

K*ttering, Gateshead and Luton in the 09/10 season - Just sublime performances, I will never tire of waxing lyrical about that side. I know the Tomlin goal against Luton is on Youtube but I really wish that the Byrne one was on as well, because the finish was just exquisite.

I'll think of some others later. :)
Agree on all of them, all great memories. That 09/10 really were a fantastic team in my eyes, and my stand out memory (although there are many more) of that season was AFC Wimbledon away. To a man, we were sensational that day and it's one of the best all round away performances I've ever seen. Atmosphere was absolute top notch and I still think of the split second silence when Fazza nudged the ball past their keeper, all 350 Diamonds fans waiting for the ball to go in. The reaction still sends shivers down my spine when I think of it to this day :D :D Leaving the stadium, we knew we were all but in the play offs, despite our low budget for the season. Absolutely loved that season :D :D
'...Wardley again.... Now Butterworth trying to provide some inspiration; What will the response be from Rushden??? IT'S A GOAL FROM ONANDI LOWE!!!!.... Third Division POSF 2nd leg; Rochdale 1 Rushden & Diamonds 2 Tuesday 30th April 2002
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 55 times
Been Liked: 32 times

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

I have so many memory's of RDFC, league winning seasons, many a victory over K*ttering, Gary setchell ;) and they'll always be close tto my heart. Hopefully this sort of thing can all be re-lived when AFC senior side are up and running!
The Godfather
Been Liked: 2 times

Post by The Godfather »

The Peel in Kingston. What a top place that is! :mrgreen:
"In Sicily, women are more dangerous than shotguns."
Rushdenjim
Has Liked: 84 times
Been Liked: 13 times

Post by Rushdenjim »

The Godfather wrote:The Peel in Kingston. What a top place that is! :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
bozzer
Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by bozzer »

when you look at how many we took to some of those matches, where are they all now!!!!
AFC R&D Member No. 67