Let the good times roll!!!!

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Diamond Warrior

Re: Let the good times roll!!!!

Post by Diamond Warrior »

I was mascot at Morecambe away in the conference winning season. I remember the club treating me so well. They didn't charge anything and gave my family all free tickets. The problem was, we were sat in with the Morecambe fans. I wanted my picture taken with Justin Jackson, but as it was his former club, he was too busy talking to people he knew.

Was it Morecambe or Scarborough or somewhere else when the supporters coach was stuck in traffic and didn't arrive until after kick-off?
wewantourdarbyback

Post by wewantourdarbyback »

ID wrote:
I got a letter from Barry Hunter after my first game (my dad organised it somehow!), signed by a selection of some of the most average players in our history - Sean Connolly, Craig Dove, Adrian Littlejohn... :lol: A nice person touch by the club though.
The stand out player for us during that season.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 354

You could have 140 years of no achievement, or twenty years of glorious victories, you decide.

One Dale Roberts.

Twitter
therushden
Has Liked: 140 times
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by therushden »

Was it Morecambe or Scarborough or somewhere else when the supporters coach was stuck in traffic and didn't arrive until after kick-off?
i remember being stuck on a coach going to dover. we made it for the last ten mins of the first half. missing both goals.
Dale Roberts. England's number 1.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 50
StaceyH
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 20 times

Post by StaceyH »

I remember the coach getting stuck in a ditch having gone the wrong way and trying to turn round on the Port Vale. We had to go find a friendly farmer with his tractor to pull it out - we arrived at the ground just as they scored.
R.I.P Dale....always and forever in our hearts
kiwikid

Post by kiwikid »

Diamond Warrior wrote:

I remember the supporters coach being held up on the way to Swansea; infact all our supporters including those in cars were held up arrived half way through the first half and had to beg to be let in! :evil:
Redsnapper

Post by Redsnapper »

I remember helping to push start a double decker coach at Brisol Rovers ....... :oops:
Supporting the community - AFC Diamonds Member No 63
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 145 times

Post by BartonRaz »

On similar lines, I was staying in London the night before our 3-2 away defeat to Brentford in League One - the last game before the fire-sale.

It took me 2 1/2 hours to get from Pinner in North London, to the game, and when we arrived at the ground at 3.30pm assuming we'd missed most of the first half, we couldn't believe our luck when we saw the players coming out the tunnel. Due to the traffic, and the Diamonds players turning up late, the game had been delayed by half an hour, i think our players were refused permission to warm-up but obviously wasn't there at that time so couldn't guarantee that.

Needless to say we went 3-0 down in rapid time, before eventually clawing two goals back - one from Onandi, possibly one from Leo Roget (?) - and losing 3-2.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Post by davealbon »

BartonRaz wrote:On similar lines, I was staying in London the night before our 3-2 away defeat to Brentford in League One - the last game before the fire-sale.

It took me 2 1/2 hours to get from Pinner in North London, to the game, and when we arrived at the ground at 3.30pm assuming we'd missed most of the first half, we couldn't believe our luck when we saw the players coming out the tunnel. Due to the traffic the game had been delayed by half an hour, i think our players were refused permission to warm-up but obviously wasn't there at that time so couldn't guarantee that.

Needless to say we went 3-0 down in rapid time, before eventually clawing two goals back - one from Onandi, possibly one from Leo Roget (?) - and losing 3-2.
Burge got the other goal that day.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
wewantourdarbyback

Post by wewantourdarbyback »

Page three and I think this hasn't been posted yet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9hihymm-EQ I'm amazed.

However, this is still my favourite goal we've scored, by the man who was my favourite player as a kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PWVmAWHhgA

He wins it to start the move off, then a beautiful play of 10 passes before the run and goal.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 354

You could have 140 years of no achievement, or twenty years of glorious victories, you decide.

One Dale Roberts.

Twitter
Bob's Bitch
Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by Bob's Bitch »

BartonRaz wrote:
ID wrote: Adrian Littlejohn... :lol:
Come on Joey, we're supposed to be remembering the good times here. Don't spoil it. ;)
To be fair to Littlejohn (and really we shouldn't because he was terrible!) if Hunter hadn't taken him off early on against Boston and put on Mr Too Good For The Conference then Billy probably wouldn't have had the same impact during the rest of the game.
R.I.P Dale. We will never forget you.

AFC R&D - Member No. 46