Top 5 RDFC?

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
OsanoIsKing

Top 5 RDFC?

Post by OsanoIsKing »

Been reflecting on the old days lately, and I thought i'd see what everyone else thinks. When it's been done for a while i'll throw a new one out there. I'll start with;

Top 5 grounds visited with RDFC.

5)Wrexham / Racecourse ground - liked the character of the ground, and the thought of their terrace being full would have been quality!
4) London road / Peterborough - I'm a fan of terracing, and 2 big terraces behind the goals is a wonderful sight.
3) Hillsborough / Sheffield Wednesday - I was only young and visiting a ground that big was brilliant, can't remember much about it juat remember being shocked at the size of it.
2) Millenium stadium - I'm sure this will be popular, never thought i'd see the day we played at a place that fantastic.
1) Nene Park / RDFC - i couldn't think of any other ground i'd have wanted to spend 14+ years of my life. I think i was 5 at my first game, but can't really remember it. From then on i was hooked!

Old school grounds are better than modern IMO, but them 2+3 were different gravy.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 145 times

Re: Top 5 RDFC?

Post by BartonRaz »

I'm going to discount Nene Park and the Millenium Stadium because they're too obvious. ;)

5 - Burton - Pirelli Stadium - A baking day, the final game of the 06/07 season, and a fantastic 2-1 win including a screamer from Simeon Jackon. Burton were looking to secure a play-off place and the stadium was almost full. An all-round good day.

4 - Mansfield - Field Mill - Something about that place. I think it's because until the final couple of visits we always did really well there. Think I only missed one of our trips to Field Mill (the final one last April), the highlight being the 4-1 win in March 2002. The main stand at Field Mill wouldn't look out of place in the Premier League.

3 - Aldershot - The Recreation Ground - The ground itself isn't particularly great but the atmosphere created in that stand behind the goal was incomparable. The SS final was one of my favourite nights following Diamonds.

2 - Sheff Wed - Hillsborough - Wasn't a great game, and the stadium in my opinion feels a bit eery, but to just play a competitive game in a stadium like that was fantastic.

1 - West Ham - Upton Park - I know we comfortably held our own in League One for half a season but for me this is as good as it got. When Max created RDFC he can't have invisaged us playing, scoring, and for the most part competing with West Ham at Upton Park. A boiling hot day at the end of summer, a 3-1 defeat in the end, but for a while it was 2-1 and the free-kick from Onandi past then England goalkeeper David James (who didn't even move) was an amazing moment.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
KilnPark_Resident

Post by KilnPark_Resident »

5 - Coventry (Highfield Road). 8-0 but so what? Brilliant ground with brilliant support.

4 - Sheffield Wednesday. Just playing in such a famous ground was good enough for me.

3 - Aldershot. Shit ground, but like Raz has said, the atmosphere that night was just unreal.

2 - West Ham. That goal from Lowe, and singing 'If you can play for England so can I' to James all night.

1 - K*ttering. Simply because we always won there!
bozzer
Has Liked: 34 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Post by bozzer »

Wow, it's really difficult as alot of them are because something special there!

5. Sheffield Wednesday : I remember thinking now this is a proper football ground.
4. Millennium stadium : not long built I think we took 5-6000 where are they all now!
3. Rockingham Rd : just lives darbys match and also tomo's taking the piss there.
2. Spotland : probably more about the occasion but just driving there with so much hope.
1. Yeovil : we took so many I think the crowd in total was 8,000, there was a great picture around of the fans with a chap with round glasses at the front would love to find it but haven't been able to.
AFC R&D Member No. 67
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 145 times

Post by BartonRaz »

bozzer wrote:Wow, it's really difficult as alot of them are because something special there!
You what mate? :lol:
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
mac

Post by mac »

What about Elland road
DiamondCarvell

Post by DiamondCarvell »

5-Racecourse Ground (Wrexham)
4-Sincil Bank (Lincoln)
3-Millenium Stadium
2-Rockingham Road (K*ttering)
1-Nene Park
We Love You, The Way You Play We Follow, Cos' We Support The Rushden and Diamonds Are Forever.
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

I'd agree with Spotland being on the list - both for the Playoff semi-final, and the game where we saw the first flashes of brilliance from Billy Sharp and realised we might have a striker at last.

I'd also add Bloomfield Road - what a performance on an awful night in the pouring rain, and Turf Moor - who will forget Tarks' goal there.

I wouldn't disagree with Rockingham Rd or Upton Park either.

If six choices were allowed I would add the Memorial Stadium (Bristol Rovers), for a couple of excellent victories, including one when we were an awful side, as well as Marcus Kelly's goal in the FA Cup.
Last edited by Formic on Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DiamondCarvell

Post by DiamondCarvell »

Formic wrote:I'd agree with Spotland being on the list - both for the Playoff semi-final, and the game where we saw the first flashes of brilliance from Billy Sharp and realised we might have a striker at last.

I'd also add Bloomfield Road - what a performance on an awful night in the pouring rain, and Turf Moor - who willl forget Tarks' goal there.

I wouldn't disagree with Rockingham Rd or Upton Park either.
Bloomfield Rd, Upton Park and Elland Rd would be in, had i been there!
We Love You, The Way You Play We Follow, Cos' We Support The Rushden and Diamonds Are Forever.
Diamond Warrior

Post by Diamond Warrior »

I am very surprised that no-one has put the Deva Stadium, yet! It would be in my top 5.