[ Sat 27th Oct ] v Eynesbury Rovers KO 3pm UCL1 AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
pitchero

Re: [ Sat 27th Oct ] v Eynesbury Rovers KO 3pm UCL1 AWAY

Post by pitchero »

I am finding it a little difficult understanding why so many people are on here having a go at the team and management after one defeat!

I accept I haven`t seen that much of the first-team in matches, but know most of them, either by reputation or personally and have seen them regularly in training.

The UCL is a notoriously difficult league – not always the best football-wise – but one of the hardest Step 5/6 leagues to win.

Going back a few years when Nick Ashby took over as manager at Wellingborough Town he brought in a whole host of players from leagues above – Peaksy was one, as was Tim Wooding – and they will tell you how hard it was for them to adapt to start with.

Anyone who has played at a reasonable level will agree that it is sometimes more difficult adapting down a level or two to adapting upwards in standard.

Nick`s team took time to adjust, but in the end finished third and only just missed out on promotion to the Southern League due to the FA changing their minds at the 11th hour!

If you look at the current Diamonds set-up, none of the management team have managed at this level before – only above in Peaksy and Biff`s case and at youth level with Starms - and only a handful of players – Jake Newman, Jack Wisniewski, Devon Ellwood, Ben Morgan and Jamie Gilsenan – have played in Division One before, the rest have come down from the UCL Premier or above.

I am therefore trying to make a comparison to Nick Ashby`s Doughboys side of a few years back to the current Diamonds team in that they will come good in the end.

Some fans are suggesting that the likes of Jake Reynolds should be given a chance. Whilst I do think a go on the bench wouldn`t be a bad thing, the boy is 16 and the UCL Division One is an unforgiving league.

When as chairman I appointed Aidy Mann as manager at Rushden & Higham he told me that he wanted to field a young team, built from the successful under-16 side we had at that time.

Now some of those lads were very good, including ex-Diamonds lads like Ben Ekins, Danny Wallis, as well as Korey Morgan, Aidy`s lad Jory and Paul Cooper, who is now in Bedford Town`s first-team.

However, Aidy soon realised that his dream was impossible to implement at this level – unfortunately.

Starms is without doubt the best coach I have ever worked with – and I`ve worked with a few!

Whilst he`ll accept players missing chances, he won`t accept anyone giving less than 100% but I`m sure he`ll turn things around.

I recall at several fans forums people suggesting they didn`t care where the team finished this season, they were just so pleased to have a Saturday side to support again.

So where`s that attitude gone then?
ron manager

Post by ron manager »

pitchero wrote: I recall at several fans forums people suggesting they didn`t care where the team finished this season, they were just so pleased to have a Saturday side to support again.

Still here, just look around the posts, I think you find though that there are 400-600 (a guess), fans that wasn't at those meetings, and a lot would like to see the team winning things.

You will always get the few (in AFC case more than most), that want to just watch football regardless of the result, but in terms of this club, the vast majority, also have a higher expectations of the club, rightly or wrongly.

At the end of the day, posts on here, are really only a minimal representation of the whole fan base, what we have 30 regular posters out of the 800 or so that turn up, so views here are always off a little.

I would also advise players to keep well clear of this forum,it is just people opinions and should make no difference to the team, but I can see it upsetting some, it would me if I was a player etc. If a player does get upset but a bit of moaning at the game though, then I would also question their involvement at the club, as unfortunately due to the size of the support that is going to be a given at one time or another, and needs to be just handled, Starmer eluded to this in his interview.

I am also glad you like Mark, as I don't now his credentials, and good to see him getting praise, I really like the way he communicates and handles himself.

I also worry a bit about what you said about young players not working in this league, as our team does seem very young, with only a few guiding older heads.
Oundle Diamond #2

Post by Oundle Diamond #2 »

pitchero wrote:
When as chairman I appointed Aidy Mann as manager at Rushden & Higham he told me that he wanted to field a young team, built from the successful under-16 side we had at that time.

Now some of those lads were very good, including ex-Diamonds lads like Ben Ekins, Danny Wallis, as well as Korey Morgan, Aidy`s lad Jory and Paul Cooper, who is now in Bedford Town`s first-team.
Successful in a very very poor league - you still couldn't defeat us in the Cup Final though :D ;)
TwinkleToesTomlin
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by TwinkleToesTomlin »

pitchero wrote:I recall at several fans forums people suggesting they didn`t care where the team finished this season, they were just so pleased to have a Saturday side to support again.

I certainly dont share that attitude or mentality. I'm as pleased as anyone to have our club back, but I wont be happy with anything other than promotion.

If we all shared that mentality, we'd get nowhere! Luckily Im sure Starms and his team dont.

Look, the players know better than anyone that Saturday wasnt up to scratch, in fact we havent really been at it for a few weeks now. Im 100% sure we're still be there or there abouts come April/May but like Steve said its just a case of adapting to this level.

That said, Im still realtively pleased with our start because I know we'll get better.

I agree with Jim about Jake Renoylds, regardless of his age I'd like to see him be a little bit more involved. In one or two cases age really counts for nothing some young lads take to mens football like a duck to water, Alex McDonald would be a prime example.
A true outlaw finds the balance between the passion in his heart and the reason in his mind. The outcome is the balance of might and right.
SouthRushdenJFC
Has Liked: 42 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by SouthRushdenJFC »

I partly agree with Jaff, promotion is the aim.

If we don't get promoted though it's not the end of the world and we re-group, see where we need to improve, improve in those areas and do it again next season, with the top spot as the aim.
Pigman
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by Pigman »

David, I think thats what a lot of people are saying. From a personal perspective I will be gutted, no I'll rephrase that, GUTTED, we don't get promotion this year, but will I hurl myself from the nearest tall building? No I won't. I'll accept it, hope we improve and learn from the experience and move on. Thats football. There is no divine right to success, you have to earn it.

Lets be honest, this is R&D, it'd be out of character to do things the easy way ;) :D
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
rudolph_hucker

Post by rudolph_hucker »

1st season building a TEAM as opposed to a group of players is perfectly acceptable. I said from the very start that 6th or above will do me fine for this first season. f*** sake we have something to do that unites us just support what we are trying to do on a Saturday, lets celebrate the future that we have. It is NOT impossible for us to get promoted and IF we do, what next year????? I have spoken to two players and several supporters/board members since the game at Eynesbury and from what the general concensus is we have achieved so much in such a short space of time lets walk before we can run. I would be absolutely delighted if we went up at the first attempt, but be reasonable. I will still turn out next season irrespective of what division/league we are in.
You're knocked out with who I am,
Look at you now, you're all in my hands.
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

rudolph_hucker wrote:1st season building a TEAM as opposed to a group of players is perfectly acceptable. I said from the very start that 6th or above will do me fine for this first season. f*** sake we have something to do that unites us just support what we are trying to do on a Saturday, lets celebrate the future that we have. It is NOT impossible for us to get promoted and IF we do, what next year????? I have spoken to two players and several supporters/board members since the game at Eynesbury and from what the general concensus is we have achieved so much in such a short space of time lets walk before we can run. I would be absolutely delighted if we went up at the first attempt, but be reasonable. I will still turn out next season irrespective of what division/league we are in.
Spot on Lee.
I've just watched the highlights and we did miss some glorious chances to equalise at 2 -v- 1 so we need a bit more quality and composure in front of goal. The season we won the Conference was a bit like this if I recall, it's time to rally the troops and get behind the team, starting on Saturday. Put the first team on the pitch and say "now put it right ".
AFC R & D member number 34
luckyfour

Post by luckyfour »

Still here Steve, and I totally agree. I can't be bothered to argue the toss on here though with people whose opinions are so intransigent. Why anyone thinks that anything other than promotion is failure is beyond me. Look at the money, the players and the talent that we had at our disposal to try and win the conference. Look at any number of big spending teams (and bear in mind that we are not one of them) at any level and you will see that building a winning football team takes time. We are starting from scratch, nothing, zilch - you can't just expect to turn out a championship winning side and stroll undeafted to the title. I am surpised and saddened that anyone thinks that way. If anything is going to put me off it is going to be some of the stuff that people shout at matches and post on here - not the players or the performances on the pitch.

At what level does mid table mediocrity become acceptable ?

This season has got a long way to go yet and if people can't take a couple of setbacks without announcing apocalypse on here at the first opportunity then ....well, I'm just glad they're not the ones steering the ship.
Diamond_ Wolf
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 4 times

Post by Diamond_ Wolf »

luckyfour wrote:Still here Steve, and I totally agree. I can't be bothered to argue the toss on here though with people whose opinions are so intransigent. Why anyone thinks that anything other than promotion is failure is beyond me. Look at the money, the players and the talent that we had at our disposal to try and win the conference. Look at any number of big spending teams (and bear in mind that we are not one of them) at any level and you will see that building a winning football team takes time. We are starting from scratch, nothing, zilch - you can't just expect to turn out a championship winning side and stroll undeafted to the title. I am surpised and saddened that anyone thinks that way. If anything is going to put me off it is going to be some of the stuff that people shout at matches and post on here - not the players or the performances on the pitch.

At what level does mid table mediocrity become acceptable ?

This season has got a long way to go yet and if people can't take a couple of setbacks without announcing apocalypse on here at the first opportunity then ....well, I'm just glad they're not the ones steering the ship.
If comments on here stop you attending games then quite frankly that is a sad state of affairs :|
Everyone is entitled to there opiniiion on here. The reason I believe that some people think we should be looking for promotion in the first season (this includes me to a certain extent) is because we know many players in the UCL on a personal level and it is somewhat strange seeing your mates playing for or against us. I've played in the same Sunday team as some of our side in the past and it is really weird seeing them play for us on a Saturday. :lol:

At the end of the day I know the people making comments about being disappointed if dont get promotion this season will be back home and away next season, week in week out regardless of what happens!!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds member- 56