Jake Newman...

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
UttoDiamond

Re: Jake Newman...

Post by UttoDiamond »

Diamond_ Wolf wrote:Quite a few of the lads play Sunday football. Ben and Jack both still play for Titchmarsh (Ben is player/manager) I used to play in the same team as them a couple of years ago.

Although there is a risk of injury I believe that playing Sunday football keeps them grounded and MS is obviously OK with that.
Fair enough, I suppose it does help with fitness etc. I would worry about injury though, and wouldn't be pleased if someone comes back with a serious injury because a Sunday League player, who's had two many the night before, decides to "go in hard" on a player of Jack or Jake's ability.

However, as other people have said, if MS is happy and the club are, then who are we to argue?

I suppose if we were playing the following Tuesday, they wouldn't play though?
AFC R&D Member Number 444
Diamond_ Wolf
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 4 times

Post by Diamond_ Wolf »

I know that both of them are sensible with the amount of games that they play and the 1st division of the Rushden & district league is a fairly good standard and quite a few players play UCL football on a Saturday.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds member- 56
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Post by davealbon »

Reading the link on the original post, there are a lot of names on there that I recognise from opposition teams this season. It seems an awful lot of UCL players play Sunday morning footy as well, and who can blame them? Most of them aren't contracted to clubs and certainly don't earn anywhere near enough to make a living from playing football (apart from our lads of course, who all quit their jobs when they signed for us and are still better of than they were before! ;) :lol: ). When I used to play for Sharnbrook in the Beds Sunday Premier league there was one team that contained 3 Bedford Town players, and several from other Southern League Premier clubs. Suffice to say they used to annihilate us!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
ron manager

Post by ron manager »

davealbon wrote:Reading the link on the original post, there are a lot of names on there that I recognise from opposition teams this season. It seems an awful lot of UCL players play Sunday morning footy as well, and who can blame them? Most of them aren't contracted to clubs and certainly don't earn anywhere near enough to make a living from playing football (apart from our lads of course, who all quit their jobs when they signed for us and are still better of than they were before! ;) :lol: ). When I used to play for Sharnbrook in the Beds Sunday Premier league there was one team that contained 3 Bedford Town players, and several from other Southern League Premier clubs. Suffice to say they used to annihilate us!
..on that then is it really fair and sportsmanship like to have these "ringers" in the Sunday league, as they are just going to whip everybody else and make the competition a bit pointless. Look at Jakes Sunday league side for example 11:0, wheres the competition in that?
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 144 times

Post by BartonRaz »

ron manager wrote:
davealbon wrote:
..on that then is it really fair and sportsmanship like to have these "ringers" in the Sunday league, as they are just going to whip everybody else and make the competition a bit pointless. Look at Jakes Sunday league side for example 11:0, wheres the competition in that?
It's one of the reasons I don't play Sunday League anymore. I was playing Northants Sunday Combination Division 2 last season and the size of the gap between the good and poor sides in our league meant many games were pointless. We had one or two players that were playing Southern League and UCL level but Harpole in our league were almost entirely UCL players including a few from Wellingborough Town, and I played against Courtney Herbert. Suffice to say that didn't end very well.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
SouthRushdenJFC
Has Liked: 42 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by SouthRushdenJFC »

When I played Sunday League many, many, many, many years ago teams in the top division were almost the same as most UCL teams.
dazSRJFC

Post by dazSRJFC »

yeah, but be fair Dave, we were n`t playing in the top division!! :lol:
AFC R&D Member Number 443
SouthRushdenJFC
Has Liked: 42 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by SouthRushdenJFC »

No need to tell everyone that.

There was only one reason we were in the fourth division.

There wasn't a fifth division :oops:
Oundle Diamond #2

Post by Oundle Diamond #2 »

Sara Pascoe wrote:If it stops me ever having to watch that 2m period of him missing one-on-ones in the highlights again then it can only be a good thing! (if it is him!)
:lol:
TwinkleToesTomlin
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by TwinkleToesTomlin »

Personally, I dont like the idea of our players playing two games in two days. I think for boys its ok, but men certainly shouldnt be doing it. Jake's in that grey area at the moment. I bet when we first signed Jake, and he was getting 20minutes hear and there, Starms was more than happy for him to play on Sundays to get that sharpness, but now hes playing frequently, hes got to be sensible. Its not down to it being a 'rougher' league cos most footballing injuries arent due to contact, the majority are non contact muscle/joint injuries, and overplaying isnt got to help that. The body needs time to recover.
A true outlaw finds the balance between the passion in his heart and the reason in his mind. The outcome is the balance of might and right.