Live streaming for games?

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
mattreddan

Live streaming for games?

Post by mattreddan »

Just out of curiosity what is the chances of streaming games live to the internet? Is there certain rules/regulations about streaming games live or could the club do it if they wanted?

Cheers.
bozzer
Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Re: Live streaming for games?

Post by bozzer »

It's a good question I know Guernsey already do something similar.

Would there be a demand for such a service?
AFC R&D Member No. 67
ron manager

Post by ron manager »

Would it impact attendances, also you would need a decent connected broadband line, most like fibre, to handle the upstream traffic
SouthRushdenJFC
Has Liked: 42 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by SouthRushdenJFC »

The line only just copes with the Radio Diamonds broadcasts at the D&D and they use a 3g connection for away games.

I expect that as well as line problems pointed out that cost would also be an issue.
bozzer

Post by bozzer »

lets just say technically it could be done would there be enough demand for it
AFC R&D Member No. 67
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

bozzer wrote:lets just say technically it could be done would there be enough demand for it
Not a chance if there was any kind of charge. One of the good things about the UCL is that games home and away are pretty local, and entrance fees are low, so we've been able to build up an excellent away following - I'd guess our ratio of away fans to our average home gate compares favourably to clubs at all levels. Add to that we have such an excellent pair of free services - the radio and the post-match highlights, plus the twitter updates and I can't see we'd find many people prepared to pay for it - in the same way as they didn't pay for Diamonds World.
bozzer

Post by bozzer »

I had a look at Guernsey FC Tv and they charge 2.99 a month on a subscription or £2.99 per game and I thought to myself would I pay that, well there's no point in me buying a subscription as I go to 99.9% of the games but I missed the Basford one this season and if I could have watched it on a webstream and had to pay £2.99 I probably would have done.

I don't know if it's actually feasible we are just looking into it at the moment, but theres no point if no one is interested.

I'm not saying it shouldn't or couldn't be free, it might need to cover some costs or maybe it could even provide a very small revenue stream to the club.
AFC R&D Member No. 67
Sam Gregory

Post by Sam Gregory »

bozzer wrote:I had a look at Guernsey FC Tv and they charge 2.99 a month on a subscription or £2.99 per game and I thought to myself would I pay that, well there's no point in me buying a subscription as I go to 99.9% of the games but I missed the Basford one this season and if I could have watched it on a webstream and had to pay £2.99 I probably would have done.
I'd quite happily pay that to be honest. Seems perfectly reasonable and I'm sure it would be popular with other supporters who, like myself, don't live locally. Definitely a concept worth exploring further in my opinion.
sandringhamdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by sandringhamdiamond »

no definitely not, the only way you should be able to watch AFCRD live is to be there, we don't want people hiding from the cold and rain in the winter months and if you cant get to a game then you have radiodiamonds and the updates, I love watching the highlights but it doesn't beat being at the game
AdamSRJFC

Post by AdamSRJFC »

It's an interesting point, its a possibility if at a higher level of football, but for UCL; no.

The costs aren't worth the money you will make back, at Radio Diamonds we pay for away games to use a 3G connection, which isn't great when your in the middle of a field!

I agree that in principle it would be great for people who don't live locally, but for the short-term, I'd say its not worth trying to set it up.

At Radio Diamonds, we have discussed doing webcast broadcasts, but as a previous poster said, it would require massive improvement on the current WT wifi at the D&D, as the current speed is terrible.

The amount of kit you would need to broadcast (especially in HD) would be alot more expensive than the money you would make back, but it is a good idea, taken on board.