Demolition of Nene Park?

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Stalin

Re: Demolition of Nene Park?

Post by Stalin »

Trek wrote:
Bob's Bitch wrote:
The curve of the roof looks like it would attach to the PDB.
That's what I thought. Look at the advertising, many of those firms no longer with us including Deejak, local Rushden builders, who constructed the Airwair Stand and other work at Nene Park.
Nope, its the terrace where the Airwair was built, the offices etc in the corner of the picture were all removed during the build.
nsman

Post by nsman »

Its so profoundly sad that such a good stadium and complex can be allowed to waste away and be demolished for selfish private profit in an area where good sports facilities are so scarce. We may soon have AFC R&D, K*ttering and Wellingborough town all looking for permanent homes. These clubs represent towns/catchment areas of 100's of thousands of people.
With all the extra rates about to pour into local authority coffers from Rushden lakes it surely must have been possible to use some of this windfall to bring the Nene park complex under public ownership as a flagship sports & recreation hub for local communities.
Pete
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by Pete »

Whoops, Stalin is right - here's another great photo: http://tgsphoto.photoshelter.com/image? ... MjlXeg4jcE

I remember seeing a Subbuteo-esque model of a two-tiered AirWair stand once, showing the 'grand plan'. Does anyone else remember seeing this? Pretty sure it was on display outside the hospitality boxes.
The Godfather
Been Liked: 2 times

Post by The Godfather »

Pete wrote:Whoops, Stalin is right - here's another great photo: http://tgsphoto.photoshelter.com/image? ... MjlXeg4jcE

I remember seeing a Subbuteo-esque model of a two-tiered AirWair stand once, showing the 'grand plan'. Does anyone else remember seeing this? Pretty sure it was on display outside the hospitality boxes.
I remember seeing that. Would of boosted the capacity to near 10,000 I think!
"In Sicily, women are more dangerous than shotguns."
sandringhamdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by sandringhamdiamond »

The Godfather wrote:
Pete wrote:Whoops, Stalin is right - here's another great photo: http://tgsphoto.photoshelter.com/image? ... MjlXeg4jcE

I remember seeing that. Would of boosted the capacity to near 10,000 I think!
Yes i saw this, its was in storage in the Airwair Stand after we left.
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

There was also this view of the lego / subbuteo North Stand which was on the old OWS.

mikerd
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by mikerd »

It was a ace ground, it will be a shame to see it demolished.
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

mikerd wrote:It was a ace ground.......
Yes it was but not anymore. Ten plus years of minimal maintenance caused it to deteriorate.
Frogerz

Post by Frogerz »

So is it confirmed it will be demolished? Or does it have to be approved by anyone?
Diamond Warrior

Post by Diamond Warrior »

I purchased a couple of architectural drawings of Nene Park a number of years ago and they are one of my favourite items of RDFC memorabilia in my collection. Such a shame that they look set to be of demolished buildings!

If there is interest, I will look into scanning these.

As an aside, if anyone does have any RDFC memorabilia that they are looking to offload, please do bear me in mine and let me know what you have!