Demolition of Nene Park?

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Frogerz

Re: Demolition of Nene Park?

Post by Frogerz »

SouthRushdenJFC wrote:
Frogerz wrote:
SouthRushdenJFC wrote:
Fair play? He doesn't care about grassroots facilities, Rushden and Higham aren't in his constituency and Bone doesn't even like football so we are on a loser there.
So what's his motive for mentioning this?
You'd need to ask him that but given his previous record I doubt it's anything to do with improving grassroots facilities in his constituency.
I've no idea on his previous record however it's good he's raising this. I'm not sure however much will happen seeing as the council don't seem concerned.
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

I think possibly Tom Pursglove was really talking about re-thinking the demolition of the main stadium. However, for a start it isn't registered as an Asset of Community Value which is something that Richard Garvie was exploring a couple of years ago but obviously he hasn't followed that issue through after his defeat in the General Election and fall from grace. We must accept that the Stadium, in it's current form, is not fit for purpose for occupation by a non-league football team or even for rugby due to the insufficient playing area.
Therefore demolition is the best option at Cousin's expense. If he continues to be thwarted by the planning authorities for commercial development then, maybe, he will be happy to sell the site to the Local Authority? This would then open up the way to develop the site for use as 'grassroots facilities' and perhaps a home for our Club.
Frogerz

Post by Frogerz »

Trek wrote: If he continues to be thwarted by the planning authorities for commercial development then, maybe, he will be happy to sell the site to the Local Authority? This would then open up the way to develop the site for use as 'grassroots facilities' and perhaps a home for our Club.
Whilst I appreciate your point that Nene Park would require a lot of money to bring it back up to speed(and is expensive to run) it must be cheaper than building a ground from scratch. Therefore if anything can be done to protect the stadium it is commended IMO.
SouthRushdenJFC
Has Liked: 42 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by SouthRushdenJFC »

Frogerz wrote:Whilst I appreciate your point that Nene Park would require a lot of money to bring it back up to speed(and is expensive to run) it must be cheaper than building a ground from scratch. Therefore if anything can be done to protect the stadium it is commended IMO.
For a Step 3/4 club, not a chance. Even putting a 3g pitch on there wouldn't give you the ROI and the running costs would be huge once you've spend a fortune getting it back into a state where it gets a safety certificate.

As it is now it's useless for a grassroots club.
Trek

Post by Trek »

It would cost a small fortune to rejig and adapt for a 3,000 maximum capacity stadium. Best to completely demolish and construct a new ground similar to Stamford's new ground at Borderville.
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

Everyone seems to think that Nene Park is falling down, trust me it was built in steel and bricks (I watched it go in) and on top of that the stands are concrete. There's nothing wrong with the general build, everything we're being told is being fed to us by you know who to meet their own ends. We were told it cost £1000 a day to run but whose figures were these? Yes it would be expensive to re-connect the electricity and yes it does need some work doing on it, but make no bones about it, IT IS NOT FALLING DOWN and I see no reason why it couldn't be re-used if done prudently. It was never managed correctly IMO.
AFC R & D member number 34
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

Trek wrote:Tom Pursglove in parliament asking question about Nene Park. Mentions AFCRD.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/67 ... n=11:12:05
and here in his newsletter; -

On Thursday in the Chamber, during the Business of the House Statement, and further to my calls last week, I outlined how Nene Park was once the home of Rushden and Diamonds Football Club and is still a fully usable football stadium, but the demolition notices have been issued. I then asked if the Leader of the House would join me in urging the owners to sit down with the local authority, AFC Rushden and Diamonds, and the community, to have one last look at whether a solution can be found that retains all, or part of the stadium facilities, because once it is gone, it is gone forever.  I also asked if we could have a Statement next week on these matters. In his reply, the Leader of the House said that he thought this could be a natural Adjournment Debate opportunity - something I will explore - but that he also very much hoped that the sporting and other organisations locally in our area, could come together and find a way in which to maintain a clearly much-loved community sports facility.  Of course, I am clear that any model must be financially viable, but I do think it is important that community football continues to have a presence at Nene Park, and it may well be that any agreement could be beneficial to a number of local football clubs and sporting organisations.  Given that the owners have failed to secure planning permission in the past, before the bulldozers move in, surely it makes sense to have one last attempt to see if a plan can be drawn up that is mixed-use in nature, and which has an element of community football at its heart. 
AFC R & D member number 34
Frogerz

Post by Frogerz »

Three of Diamonds wrote:
Trek wrote:Tom Pursglove in parliament asking question about Nene Park. Mentions AFCRD.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/67 ... n=11:12:05
and here in his newsletter; -

On Thursday in the Chamber, during the Business of the House Statement, and further to my calls last week, I outlined how Nene Park was once the home of Rushden and Diamonds Football Club and is still a fully usable football stadium, but the demolition notices have been issued. I then asked if the Leader of the House would join me in urging the owners to sit down with the local authority, AFC Rushden and Diamonds, and the community, to have one last look at whether a solution can be found that retains all, or part of the stadium facilities, because once it is gone, it is gone forever.  I also asked if we could have a Statement next week on these matters. In his reply, the Leader of the House said that he thought this could be a natural Adjournment Debate opportunity - something I will explore - but that he also very much hoped that the sporting and other organisations locally in our area, could come together and find a way in which to maintain a clearly much-loved community sports facility.  Of course, I am clear that any model must be financially viable, but I do think it is important that community football continues to have a presence at Nene Park, and it may well be that any agreement could be beneficial to a number of local football clubs and sporting organisations.  Given that the owners have failed to secure planning permission in the past, before the bulldozers move in, surely it makes sense to have one last attempt to see if a plan can be drawn up that is mixed-use in nature, and which has an element of community football at its heart. 
I wonder if he has actually contacted the owner directly to discuss this at all.
Trek

Post by Trek »

Frogerz wrote:
I wonder if he has actually contacted the owner directly to discuss this at all.
Apparently so, a tweet this morning by Tom Pursglove.

An update on Nene Park - a green light to meet!

https://scontent.flhr3-2.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=59122D49
Trek

Post by Trek »