If you could....

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
AFCRD_Dan
Has Liked: 101 times
Been Liked: 41 times

If you could....

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

Since its quiet on here, I thought I'd get a discussion going.

If you could go back in time to any period/game of RDFC/AFCRD where would you go?

I'd go back to the game against the Ploppies where we beat them 3-0, and also the FA Cup game against Barwell just to experience that last minute goal at their place again!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 73
Rushdenjim
Has Liked: 84 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Re: If you could....

Post by Rushdenjim »

I think it would be difficult to say anything other than Billy's goal against Northampton.

Others worth mentioning:
- Lee Tomlin at K*ttering
- Paul Hall in Cardiff
- 2-0 away at Luton, Tomlin again
- Winning Div 3 at home vs Hartlepool
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Post by davealbon »

Scum 1-5 Diamonds
Scum 0-4 Diamonds
Scum 0-2 Diamonds
Scum 0-3 Diamonds

The first two were before I'd started avidly supporting the club so I missed out on witnessing them live (although I've seen both on video), and the other two were just epic. :biggrin:
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
sandringhamdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by sandringhamdiamond »

Not forgetting when we knocked K*ttering out of the FA Cup

Also the moment when Kevin Nicholls slipped at Luton and the whole crowd urged Tomlin on, then went silent just as he shot then que mayhem in the away end :biggrin:

For AFC

Taylor v Cambridge
Dolman v Barwell
AFCRD_Dan
Has Liked: 101 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

davealbon wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:26 pm Scum 1-5 Diamonds
Scum 0-4 Diamonds
Scum 0-2 Diamonds
Scum 0-3 Diamonds

The first two were before I'd started avidly supporting the club so I missed out on witnessing them live (although I've seen both on video), and the other two were just epic. :biggrin:
I was watching the 3-0 win on Youtube (will never tire of watching it!) loved how Tomlin ran through, avoided the tackle, didn't down and put it past Abbey.. then the scenes of jubilation in the away end, the players Sshh-ing the K*ttering fans... then to top if off some moron shouts "too shit for the football league!" toward Tomlin.. :cheesy: Ahh memories! :biggrin:
Beating K*ttering was like an annual tradition!!

The 3-2 win against Northampton will also live long in my memory, their fans including good old Ted, and Stoney were convinced they'd beat us with ease! How wrong were they!! :joy:
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 73
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 55 times
Been Liked: 33 times

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

Some of my fave goal moments

Rdfc - heggs v Leeds away, Brady v sheff Utd away, promotion from the conference

Afc - Sam Brown v eyenesbury, Brady Harris v wisbech, dunks v wulfrunians
mikerd
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by mikerd »

Rdfc

Beating K*ttering is always special.
Billy Sharp last minute winner, at home to Wobblers, was excellent/cool.
2-1 win at Chester was ace, winning/receiving the Conference Winning Trophy was ace.

AFC
Jack Ashton 90th minute at Wobblers was ace (against K*ttering)
Beating Northampton Sileby at there ground, to win United Counties Premier league was ace/excellent.
Bob's Bitch
Has Liked: 32 times
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Bob's Bitch »

- K*ttering 3-0 was hilarious, that team was fantastic.
- Billy Sharp's winner, obviously. Still remember where I was stood on the PDB.
- I don't think that Barwell game will be topped for excitement, both goal celebrations were amazing. The unedited footage is still favourited on my YouTube app. Everyone going mental, in the purest sense of the word, can't remember which player it was that was halfway up one of the poles behind the goal afterwards. Those grumpy bouncers!
- Brown vs Eynesbury similarly.
- Also that game against R&H was pretty cool, definitely showing the potential for large crowds this season.
R.I.P Dale. We will never forget you.

AFC R&D - Member No. 46
Dowlo
Has Liked: 17 times
Been Liked: 40 times

Post by Dowlo »

Bob's Bitch wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:20 am can't remember which player it was that was halfway up one of the poles behind the goal afterwards. Those grumpy bouncers!
That was Tommy Berwick! I had my head in his crotch!

If I had my time travelling machine...

R&DFC

Ploppies 0-3 RDFC- there is no explanation need!

Luton 0- 2 RDFC- both goals were great, and the fact we managed to send home 8000 Luton fans unhappy was great. They went on to achieve their destiny and walk the league that year I believe...... :wink:

Newport 1- 3 RDFC- we had been on a pretty poor run and we're 2-1 up going into the last few minutes. Newport got a dodgy penalty decision, Matt Prosser was deemed to have hand balled it! Step up Joe Day, who pulled of a great save, Matt Johnson broke up the pitch, received a 1-2 in the Newport penalty area and tapped the ball into the net! 3-1! Que wild celebrations from the 60 or so travelling army!

AFC&D

Ploppies 1- 2 AFCR&D- I went into this game think we'd get thumped, coming off the play off final loss and having a "weakened" side out, as long as we scored I'd be happy. So when we went ahead I was fairly pleased, it was pretty much backs to the wall up until they eqaulised and there on after, with only really Shawn Richards offering up a realistic option to break out our half. So when we got THAT corner in the 90th minute and Jacko scored THAT header it was the sweetest feeling! Their side was bloody strong and their fans turned out in numbers for a game they "didn't care about" After 5 years to face those lot again and beat them in the way we did, it was f*cking wonderful!

Barwell 2- 2 AFCR&D- The game itself was poor, but the celebrations at the end when Bully poked the ball into the net were incredible! Shame we couldn't recreate them at home in the replay, but it did give us our first and to date only 4 figure home attendance.

Ashington 2-1 AFCR&D- This goes down as one of the best weekends away I've ever had. In our first full senior season the club organised coach travel and (posh) hotel for a group of "lads" to effectively have a weekend away on the lash in Newcastle! We may not have got the result on the pitch but I think in the end it just became a bit of side issue. The night out on the Friday was quality and then the Saturday night out with the layers coaching staff, board etc was even better. A weekend with many funny stories to remember and go over from time to time. In a season that would end in more celebrations when we got promoted at Spencer! :drinks:
Curly
Been Liked: 9 times

Post by Curly »

For me I'd love to go back to the 4-3 Enfield f.a trophy game at Nene park, simply the best game I think I've ever been at.

Every big win at K*ttering was great with the 5-1 and the 3-0 really sticking out for me.

Obviously beating the cobblers at home in the way we did was awesome, the scenes on the de banke that day will always live with me.

For the new club Ashington in the vase is a great memory, a cracking weekend on the lash and a weekend where I felt we came of age as a team that season.

In that first season sileby away would take some beating, a great atmosphere and performance which went a long way towards us going up that year.

The scenes when Alfie scored v Cambridge and dover in that seasons cup run as well.

Sorry for the essay but there's been so many great moments I couldn't pick any one over the others