Close Season Maintenance - Starts Monday 17th May - 6:30pm

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 92 times

Close Season Maintenance - Starts Monday 17th May - 6:30pm

Post by Dazzler »

Official Site Link

Starts: Monday evening (17th May) at 1830 until 2100

If you can help in any way, or for just one day - any help is appreciated. Just drop Glenis an email or a message and she'll be in touch.

UPDATE (15th May) from Glenis
--
Hi everyone

I will commence working on Monday evening (17th) at 1830 until 2100.

We will first of all clean the roadways and kerbs of weeds and would ask if you could bring along brushes, dustpans and tools to remove them.

If the weather is inclement then we will go into the Stadium and start to rub down the railings etc ready for painting.

We cannot start to do the seat cleaning until W/C 14th June.

I will be working weekdays from 1830 to 2100 and from 1000 to 1400 at the weekends but can be flexible if these times are not convenient.

Please let me know what times are convenient for you.

When we start painting could you please also supply brushes which ideally need to be 2" wide. Cheap ones will do!!!

Look forward to seeing you from Monday onwards.

If I am not around when you arrive, please ring the bell which can be found on the corner of De Banke near to the blue double doors.

Glenis Haynes
--

Close Season Maintenance
Posted on: Fri 02 Apr 2010

Once again we are quickly approaching the end of the season which means that the close season maintenance has to kick in with a vengeance.

This year it is even more important that we get more volunteers to help as much as possible, as funds are short at the club for things like giving the stadium some much needed TLC!!

We know that time is precious to everyone but would appreciate it if as many of you as possible could find even just 1 hour to help out so that we can bring this fantastic facility of ours up to the standard we pride ourselves on.

You can contact our volunteer co-ordinator Glenis Haynes on either of the following:-

Mobile 07870 332606 (leave a message if not available) or e-mail glenis30@supanet.com

We will be working 7 days a week either during the day or in the evenings carrying our seat/general cleaning, painting and gardening.

Many thanks and looking forward to seeing you over the close season.
Last edited by Dazzler on Sat May 15, 2010 3:07 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Pigman
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 35 times

Re: Close Season Maintenance - Help Required!

Post by Pigman »

Well done Dazzler !! I was chatting to Glenis after the game last night and she said 4 people had emailed her - 4!!! Come on people, a chance to feel a real part of the club by helping out, you don't have to give up hours, any time you can will be gratefully received and I know from past experience - you'll enjoy it. The club have no money to pay for this so the stadium looking spic and span for the new season is down to us !! Its easy to sing "Rushden till I die" on the terrace - how about proving it with a bit of hard work? If you know people who don't read this board please spread the word.

A special appeal - have we got anyone who is H&S trained and capable of operating a cherry picker (you don't have to be the same person ;) )? You must have formal training to do this though and be able to prove it. The club can get their hands on a cherry picker but need people to volunteer to be there to operate it. If we don't get someone with the right skills along the facia will not be done. Anyone???? Please contact Glenis as per info above if you can !!
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

I'd endorse all of that. It's often the same people that spend their time helping the club during the season that get involved in the close season, so it would be good to see a few new faces. You'll get to see Nene Park from a few different angles, and see the work going on with the pitch, and as was said elsewhere, it's also a great chance to find out what has been going on at the club during the close season - and to get the feedback from the final weeks of the season. It's not too strenuous, and you can work at your own pace.
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 25 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

Just emailed Glenis and volunteered my other half as well :lol: :lol: I believe the club has a heavy duty pressure washer that might be powerful enough without the use of a cherry picker? I might be wrong on that though. Maybe someone has a scaffold tower we could borrow instead?
AFC R & D member number 34
OsanoIsKing

Post by OsanoIsKing »

Two of Diamonds wrote:Just emailed Glenis and volunteered my other half as well :lol: :lol: I believe the club has a heavy duty pressure washer that might be powerful enough without the use of a cherry picker? I might be wrong on that though. Maybe someone has a scaffold tower we could borrow instead?
I heard that the pressure washer was what damaged the facsia on the outside of the North Stand, was too strong to use and took the protective coating off and making it look as bad as it does.
Trek
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

OsanoIsKing wrote:
I heard that the pressure washer was what damaged the fascia on the outside of the North Stand, was too strong to use and took the protective coating off and making it look as bad as it does.
I would be very surprised if it removed the face of the plastic coating. :shock: The main problem is that the cladding is very light and needs cleaning every summer otherwise since it's north facing mould develops quickly because it stays wet for a period of time without sunlight. This is why moss develops on north facing roof slopes. ;)
Steve

Post by Steve »

I just e-mailed, more than happy to help.

Does anyone know any more details about when this will be though, just out of interest. At certain times I could easily give a whole day,
Formic
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

It does tend to depend on what the work is. The outside gardening can be done without much of scheduling issue, but anything inside the stadium requires someone to open up and supervise - so typically it's been done in the evenings.

There is also a question of timing - e.g. the seats can''t be cleaned until various power-washing tasks have been done, otherwise you'd be back to square one. Some tasks are also dictated by work on the pitch as well, so I'm sure Glenis will be sorting out a schedule as soon as the dates for those tasks are agreed.

I'm not sure what areas are to be painted, or whether they are inside or out, but perhaps those are jobs that can also be done during the day.
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 92 times

Post by Dazzler »

Steve wrote:I just e-mailed, more than happy to help.
Does anyone know any more details about when this will be though, just out of interest. At certain times I could easily give a whole day,
There are a lot of different things that go on at certain times, so Glenis is best to advise, and can fit you in to the schedule that suits you. If you get hold of her on the phone she'll be able to advise.

The main seat cleaning for example usually happens late on in th esummer a few weeks before start of pre-seasons, and often a load of evening work, after any jet washing and other pitch work has been done.

But before that there is plenty of other work like rubbing down metalwork/painting etc, gardening, clearing etc..

Usually if you can come on a certain day Glenis will find a task to be done, and the tools needed (occasionally bringing stuff is useful, like for some garden work).

Look forward to seeing a few more people down there this year as well. But as we said if you can only spare 1 day or 1 hour occasionally it all adds up and is appreciated.
ferrers

Post by ferrers »

i have been looking into the decoration of the facias around the stadium,the information we have is that the silicone coating broke down after a vigourous power washing,so now the mould /algea sticks to the cladding especially on the rear of the north stand.
I have scourced a product from Dulux called Cladshield which is a water basesed product and has a quoted 8 year life cycle at least.The preparation is to wash cladding removing as much dirt and mould as possible then apply an anti-fungicidal wash ,Then 2no coats of the cladshield is applied.
We have been discussing this for a while now as already said a cherry picker is required and an operator for a number of areas.I have offered my services to paint the red lettering on the stands as they look very jaded.It may be a case of doing the work in stages and obviously with glenis's experienceof how it could be scheduled. It would be great to see the stadium back to its shiny best for the new season whatever league we are to be in.