New Season...

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 59 times

Re: New Season...

Post by sussexdiamond »

Ricky330 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:01 pm Sussex Diamond. You can find the figure that lottery has contributed on last board minutes on members forum.
That was not my question. I know the lottery figure and how much it equates to a 39 week season. My question was what do you think the weekly budget is? I believe I know, I am curious to what you think it is. £2000, £3000, £4000,£5000.
Ricky330
Has Liked: 303 times
Been Liked: 21 times

Post by Ricky330 »

Sussex Diamond. I'm just expressing a view that I feel the squad needs some additional quality and that we do have a lottery fund that we can use. Its just my opinion. If you don't agree that's fine, just ignore it. Enjoy the upcoming season.
sussexdiamond

Post by sussexdiamond »

Ricky330 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:45 pm Sussex Diamond. I'm just expressing a view that I feel the squad needs some additional quality and that we do have a lottery fund that we can use. Its just my opinion. If you don't agree that's fine, just ignore it. Enjoy the upcoming season.
OK. Fair enough. But give Pressmans comments a read. We have a squad capable of a play off place, a squad with several young players,. As stated in Jones and Casey we have two who have graduated from the Acadamey and there are others who nurtured carefully could do the same. We have Garwood who is a really exciting prospect. If and when Smith is fully recovered from illness he will be a great attribute alongside Ben Diamond. Our midfield does lack experience, something Peaks is trying very hard to address, but again we have exciting players in FBT, Akubine and Slinn. If you are not already a member of the lottery be sure to join.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 144 times

Post by BartonRaz »

bozzer wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:43 pm I think we have to look at where the club is at, the move to the new ground has got to take a priority from this season.
I think the rank and file fan will struggle to accept that when on the face of it we don't appear to be much/any further forward than we were when it was announced in 2018 that we'd found a location. Besides, the budget fund is ringfenced for that purpose so the two things aren't necessarily linked.

Going back to the main point, I've barely seen any of the friendlies for one reason or another but as I say every year, you can't read anything in to pre-season. Having said that, I would imagine we'll be a lower mid-table side and things are probably shaping up that way. Suggestion that we're capable of a play-off place is in my opinion very optimistic. We've certainly got what looks to be a horrible start on paper and we could be playing catch-up by the time the first 5/6 games are out of the way.

It's been a good few years now since we showed signs in the transfer market of any real desire or ambition to go beyond the level we're now at and potential new recruits will be aware of that. I'm personally OK with that for now but it's not the likes of me that the club needs to worry about retaining. It's the floating fan that won't tolerate it.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
judster62

Post by judster62 »

BartonRaz wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:54 am
bozzer wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:43 pm I think we have to look at where the club is at, the move to the new ground has got to take a priority from this season.
I think the rank and file fan will struggle to accept that when on the face of it we don't appear to be much/any further forward than we were when it was announced in 2018 that we'd found a location. Besides, the budget fund is ringfenced for that purpose so the two things aren't necessarily linked.

Going back to the main point, I've barely seen any of the friendlies for one reason or another but as I say every year, you can't read anything in to pre-season. Having said that, I would imagine we'll be a lower mid-table side and things are probably shaping up that way. Suggestion that we're capable of a play-off place is in my opinion very optimistic. We've certainly got what looks to be a horrible start on paper and we could be playing catch-up by the time the first 5/6 games are out of the way.

It's been a good few years now since we showed signs in the transfer market of any real desire or ambition to go beyond the level we're now at and potential new recruits will be aware of that. I'm personally OK with that for now but it's not the likes of me that the club needs to worry about retaining. It's the floating fan that won't tolerate it.
If we're really honest we are probably at the right level for our club (Step 3) having fought our way up the leagues to get to this point. Without our own ground and facilities it's difficult to see us competing at a higher level. National League would be great and possible if we get a really good team together on a limited budget but probably difficult to sustain.

I don't really want us to spend the money we do have on players from a higher level with questionable commitment. It's not that we should lack ambition but I think realism has to sink in for a member owned club without their own ground. Get the new ground in place, generate more match-day and non match-day income and we can then think in terms of National League.

I have seen a few of the pre-season games and there are encouraging signs that we are developing a team that will compete this season. Difficult to judge with what everyone else is doing but I do think we'll be top half maybe even challenging for play-offs.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 144 times

Post by BartonRaz »

2 more signings.

https://www.afcdiamonds.com/player-update-3/

Got ourselves a top 'Keeper there.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
sussexdiamond

Post by sussexdiamond »

BartonRaz wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:52 pm 2 more signings.

https://www.afcdiamonds.com/player-update-3/

Got ourselves a top 'Keeper there.
Agree with that. Lottery money playing its part. I understand Snedker could have chosen an NLN team.
Ricky330
Has Liked: 303 times
Been Liked: 21 times

Post by Ricky330 »

Great coup getting Dean Snedker on board. Now ,please, a left sided attacker/winger & possibly also sign up the no7 triallist from the Thame game. He looked very calm & assured. Controlled the midfield well
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

It’s clear we are not paying mercenaries who are just after the best wage packet (fair play to them if they can get it) but that’s not our bag now. From the pre season games I’ve seen I have watched young hungry players who want to prove themselves not just players out to pick up as much as they can get. I can’t wait to see how they are going to do against these types of players and also against teams who will have the pressure of winning each week on them.

Can’t wait for the season to start
Absolutely agree with the ground issue, it MUST be a priority.

From a footballing perspective it needs to bring the fans in again, it's far too easy to get out of the habit of turning up and a good cup run would be nice addition if the league is going to be a bit too beyond us.
HEY, I hope it all gels and we p!ss this tinpot league :cheesy:
AFC R & D member number 34
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

I disagree about the ground issue. It should only be progressed if we are confident crowds aren’t going to drop off post-COVID, that enough (extra) people will go to an out of town venue, given the poor crowd uplift after the move to Hayden RD, there will be adequate parking, and the running costs will be within our means - otherwise it will be a Millstone.