[ Tue 28th Sep ] v Royston Town, KO 7:45pm SLPDC HOME

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
AFCRD_Dan
Has Liked: 101 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Re: [ Tue 28th Sep ] v Royston Town, KO 7:45pm SLPDC HOME

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

Trek wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:50 am Only seen the last two matches this season but have to agree with everyone who has suggested that we have a major problem at full back and it was, of course, a tough ask to replace players of the quality of Brown and Reynolds. However, we now have a young keen right back in Garwood who is energetic but at times runs around like a headless chicken and gets exposed when he advances forward but he has the ability to improve with coaching and guidance. As for Warburton the least said the better and you must seriously question who’s decision it was to put him on a contract. Slinn also hasn’t featured in the last two squads, another who it was felt should be put on a contract. 😠

It’s going to be a long hard season without a serious overhaul of our defence.
Warburton is on a contract?! 🤦
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 73
rdusher
Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 57 times

Post by rdusher »

Trek wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:50 am However, we now have a young keen right back in Garwood who is energetic but at times runs around like a headless chicken and gets exposed when he advances forward but he has the ability to improve with coaching and guidance. As for Warburton the least said the better and you must seriously question who’s decision it was to put him on a contract.
Garwood by far the worst of the two. Constantly out of position, no first touch and repeatedly fails to beat the first man when crossing. Warburton a joke aswell, not fit enough, couldn't cross a road and when he does get forward has absolutely no chance to get back. His only saving grace is that I think he could be used as part of a back three.

I've suggested that we would maybe be best off utilising his contract by having him running the club shop
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

AFCRD_Dan wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:43 am
Trek wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:50 am Only seen the last two matches this season but have to agree with everyone who has suggested that we have a major problem at full back and it was, of course, a tough ask to replace players of the quality of Brown and Reynolds. However, we now have a young keen right back in Garwood who is energetic but at times runs around like a headless chicken and gets exposed when he advances forward but he has the ability to improve with coaching and guidance. As for Warburton the least said the better and you must seriously question who’s decision it was to put him on a contract. Slinn also hasn’t featured in the last two squads, another who it was felt should be put on a contract. 😠

It’s going to be a long hard season without a serious overhaul of our defence.
Warburton is on a contract?! 🤦
Yes.🤔 Confirmed here:-https://www.afcdiamonds.com/sam-warburton-signs/
AFCRD_Dan

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

What’s the situation with Bully? Been on the bench for the last two games. Is it a fitness problem? Our defence looks so inexperienced without him, hope it’s not a sign he’s leaving.

I see we have K*ttering in the NFA Cup, could be in for a long night.
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

According to Andy’s recent interview with Jon Dunham ‘he can’t pin point what went wrong’.
That’s a puzzling comment to make as this thread demonstrates clearly what the major problems are but, of course, none of us have UEFA accredited coaching qualifications.
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 55 times
Been Liked: 32 times

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

AFCRD_Dan wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:29 pm I agree that the full backs need to go, they aren’t good enough, we had better in the UCL!
Well when you think our two full backs from our first ever game were Joe Merrill and Sam Brown and would you swap them for what we have now? Yes, in a heartbeat and they played three divisions below this. I'd go as far as saying, one of the current full backs is the worst we've ever had in the history of both clubs!
AFCRD_Dan

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

TheIncognitoKid wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:16 pm
AFCRD_Dan wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:29 pm I agree that the full backs need to go, they aren’t good enough, we had better in the UCL!
Well when you think our two full backs from our first ever game were Joe Merrill and Sam Brown and would you swap them for what we have now? Yes, in a heartbeat and they played three divisions below this. I'd go as far as saying, one of the current full backs is the worst we've ever had in the history of both clubs!
I’d have those two back in a heartbeat!
AFCRD_Dan

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

Trek wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:47 pm According to Andy’s recent interview with Jon Dunham ‘he can’t pin point what went wrong’.
That’s a puzzling comment to make as this thread demonstrates clearly what the major problems are but, of course, none of us have UEFA accredited coaching qualifications.
I did have to laugh at that comment from AP! Surely he could see what the problem was, they clearly did their homework on us and exposed our full backs.

Controversial opinion coming up! Perhaps we are being too loyal to him, yes he’s been a fantastic servant to the club, but maybe he needs to have a look at himself, and admit he has taken us as far as he can, a fresh pair of eyes might do the club some good. Having said that, could we find anyone better with the budget we have?
bozzer
Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by bozzer »

Awful performance last night bar about 15 minutes after we got our fortunate goal, the second half onslaught didn’t come and we huffed and puffed without actually creating anything.
I was very impressed with Royston they had always seemed to be a long ball physical team, last night they showed they could play football and had a desire unmatched by us. That all said we were still in the game until their brilliant third goal.

To be honest I think we have to expect we could well lose to top 6 teams when they come to ours at the moment, look at the top 6, and look at the bottom of the table and I think we are comfortably a mid table team, that’s ok with me at the moment.

Everyone can see where the weaknesses are in the team and respect to the manager for not calling them out in public, but I’m sure he knows.

As said before I believe the manager deserves the whole season (unless we are sat at the bottom) to see how we develop as a team, but as long as we are playing step 3 football next season and have brought some young players on that’s realistic for me.
AFC R&D Member No. 67
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 92 times

Post by Dazzler »

Match highlights from AFCRDTV