Cash on the turnstile

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 144 times

Re: Cash on the turnstile

Post by BartonRaz »

Brownie wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:32 am
Biggles wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:15 pm Whats Minute to you maybe a threat to others, i assume the volunteers wont touch the stuff and that why we still dont take it.
Maybe a solution is that Beezus and Fentiger volunteer to man the gates and take cash payments.

Simples problem over, nope we still need someone to count it and bag it and go to a bank, nope they are shut until Monday, so some one has to keep
it in their house. no security so some masked thug can smash the door down and wallop, sorry i do watch to many Crime thrillers
An insurmountable problem that has been overcome by almost every non league club in the Country except Diamonds and Hitchin, I believe we have 1 club in the league who other than pre paid on-line tickets are CASH ONLY on the turnstiles.
I’m sure no cash is affecting attendances and given the recent steady decline in numbers surely that should be a concern??
Not sure if it's who you're referring to but Alvechurch, who we visit on Saturday, are cash-only.

I really don't understand why people feel the need to only use cash to enter the football ground but nevertheless, some people clearly feel that way. I felt like this no-cash policy was overkill anyway and also plain daft given as other have mentioned, you walk through the turnstile and only have the option of giving cash for raffle tickets. What's more, it looks like we've got volunteer college students on the turnstile at the moment and I'm guessing it's not something that's been requested by them, so why are we doing it?

The attendance data at the bottom of this page is interesting. We now have a lower average than Stratford, Redditch and even Barwell (although I think they've only played a handful of home games due to 3G pitch installation). https://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/divisions/239/
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Beezus Fafoon
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by Beezus Fafoon »

A lot of older fans prefer paying with cash! And some of them like to go to the bank etc because it’s the only real contact they get with someone throughout the week!
Who wants to muck around buying tickets on websites or paying by card when someone I know was charged three times because the card readers are shite?
The cash doesn’t take that long to count anyway and there’s a huge safe at the club!
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 59 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

As an over 70 I have no problem with card payments, contact less is so simple. I also have no problem with cash, many small retail outlets will not take card payments less than £5. I do however feel that Covid has scared away many folk especially older or vulnerable ones. I myself am not going to cinemas or theatres or travelling on public transport. But I do feel we are coming into a safer era and outdoor events of our size can once again be OK to visit. I agree that if turnstile operators are happy to take cash let's do it for the remaining games at Hayden Road.
Biggles
Been Liked: 25 times

Post by Biggles »

I would like to state that i am also the wrong side of 60 and i have no problems with card payments and its a bit patronising to older people saying they cant cope with technology.

The last place i can think of in the world is going to a bank as my highlight of the day and as with Sussex i refuse to frequent the Cinema etc at the moment and i admit it i will not go the Football and mix with potential Covid carriers not just for my sake but my 89 year old mother in law who lives with me and the wife.

I am not saying Cash may be a reason some wont come but i feel its more to be with mixing with crowds that is keeping people away.

It would be Nice if the club could comment on their reasons for not taking cash, they have been asked on the Club forum to comment, we await to see if we do get an Answer.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 32
Diamond88

Post by Diamond88 »

It's hardly a fixation with cash it's just generally what the majority of normal people still use in this country and by stopping using it your literally just playing into the hands of hmrc who are trying to get rid of it 🙄
Bolts1988
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by Bolts1988 »

I don't get the contactless payment at this level, we should have a look to see if we scrap it will the attendance increase. People through the gate is a must at this level and it's on the low side considering how well the boys are doing. Am I being optimistic to say we should have 800 atleast for home games? Apart from fb and twitter are we engaging enough locally? Could we give out tickets to local schools or groups that hopefully enjoy what they see and come more regularly?
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

If fans are volunteering to help with this then for goodness sake accept the offer, there's nothing to lose and something to gain. You never know, they might get the bug and volunteer for other duties. We can always open the other turnstile for cash only as a control measure if some are worried.
AFC R & D member number 34
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 92 times

Post by Dazzler »

My understanding is that per relaxation on government guidance in general, this was probably being re-added soon anyway as an option, but is to be confirmed. I’ve also removed remaining tape in areas around ground for spacing etc. again in line with the clubs Matchday safety and covid group.

I sort the float out and bank for all areas, as invariably people like to use £20 notes rather than have correct change. With cash we also manually track the tally sheets (or use sumup to record transaction) so we have accurate attendance numbers and types. Having online and contactless significantly reduced that workload on tracking/managing, and for the vast majority of people just made sense. Most people get their cash from atms or as cashback when shopping with a card these days anyway.
rossco
Been Liked: 2 times

Post by rossco »

Bolts1988 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:27 pm I don't get the contactless payment at this level, we should have a look to see if we scrap it will the attendance increase. People through the gate is a must at this level and it's on the low side considering how well the boys are doing. Am I being optimistic to say we should have 800 atleast for home games? Apart from fb and twitter are we engaging enough locally? Could we give out tickets to local schools or groups that hopefully enjoy what they see and come more regularly?
Very optimistic to say 800!! 5/600 regularly should be the aim.
In terms of float/change issues: this was always going to be an issue when increasing admission to £11 not £10, but getting change will tempt people into programmes/raffle tickets as well
train
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by train »

I agree with vest vest majority of people on here.

No cash at turnstiles is what’s killing our attendance.

Especially as other clubs do cash at turnstiles.

We, Diamonds as a club should maximum (and and maximum) attendance.

That is to have/be able to pay by cash at turnstiles.