[ Sat 23rd Apr ] v Nuneaton Borough, KO 3pm SLPDC HOME

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
SimonHillington9
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 15 times

Re: [ Sat 23rd Apr ] v Nuneaton Borough, KO 3pm SLPDC HOME

Post by SimonHillington9 »

OUTFOUGHT, OUTTHOUGHT, OUTWANTED!

Southern premier league is starting to feel like the never ending struggle of Sisyphus.
From where peaksy lefted us I thought playoffs was a given. Leiston, Tamworth, st ives, Biggleswade, Nuneaton easy points dropped. Players back to hoofing, burgess’s tactics have to be looked at, 2 strikers more stale than the poppadums at the curry gardens.
Where is the Ravi, deacon, peaksy money?! The recruitment is not fit for a playoffs pushing team and quite frankly the new players offered nothing.

And I no wot your thinking, he’s had a few.. to bloody right after that

See u in august
If you want the rainbow, youve got to put up with the rain
therushden
Has Liked: 137 times
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by therushden »

fentiger79 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:59 pm Whilst I’m extremely disappointed I would gladly trade this in for a FA Cup 1st round appearance next year. 🙂
Too right.
Dale Roberts. England's number 1.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 50
Olly
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 100 times

Post by Olly »

Of course I didn't expect us to do much in the playoffs without a fair amount of luck and I don't deny we would be seriously up against it in NLN, but it doesn't change how gutted I am that we blew it today, they just froze and at least if we had lost in the playoffs it wouldn't have been a huge shock, just to be part of the playoffs is a great achievement.

We can't complain though, all we needed was 1 goal against one of two teams in the lower reaches of the table to finish 5th, it was an ideal run in and unfortunately we couldn't even do that. But losing those last two and dropping points in other games recently that were winnable shows that we probably didn't deserve that spot however hard it is to admit. Alvechurch picked up just when they needed to.

Would things have been different had we had Collard or Shamsi or Peaksy still in charge, I think they could have been but it's over now. Burge gets my full support as manager as I'm delighted he's involved with AFC, but I'm not completely sold on him as our manager going forward just yet. Sure nerves got the better of the players, but the manager still has share some of that blame for not getting us over the line, we've been poor and haven't looked like a playoff team for a while.
R.I.P. Dale Roberts

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 308
Olly
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 100 times

Post by Olly »

fentiger79 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:59 pm Whilst I’m extremely disappointed I would gladly trade this in for a FA Cup 1st round appearance next year. 🙂
Agreed, about time we had a cup run again, and an excellent source of income, who knows what we could do with the money we could get from making the first round, that's the sort of thing we could do to help us push towards moving forward as a club. The cup and to an extent the trophy have to be seen as high priority, not as a distraction as some managers see them
R.I.P. Dale Roberts

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 308
YoungDiamond
Been Liked: 8 times

Post by YoungDiamond »

Gutted. Very tough to take yesterday and still hurts now. Long season with some lows and some highs but ultimately we threw it away when it mattered. Not to secure the play offs from the position we were in is pretty shocking. It’s nothing against Burgess as I think he will do a good job next season but I still don’t understand the timing of the permanent announcement. 2 wins in 9 since the Lowestoft game. We were awful on Monday and we were probably worse today. We go again next season…
Ricky330
Has Liked: 298 times
Been Liked: 21 times

Post by Ricky330 »

SimonHillington9 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:11 pm OUTFOUGHT, OUTTHOUGHT, OUTWANTED!

Southern premier league is starting to feel like the never ending struggle of Sisyphus.
From where peaksy lefted us I thought playoffs was a given. Leiston, Tamworth, st ives, Biggleswade, Nuneaton easy points dropped. Players back to hoofing, burgess’s tactics have to be looked at, 2 strikers more stale than the poppadums at the curry gardens.
Where is the Ravi, deacon, peaksy money?! The recruitment is not fit for a playoffs pushing team and quite frankly the new players offered nothing.

And I no wot your thinking, he’s had a few.. to bloody right after that

See u in august
Have to agree. Some strange tactics in last few games. Tshikuna is not a left winger yet we continued to set up this way only to invariably change back to him dropping in behind a lone striker?? If we are going to play 2 up top then for me wingers must be AJ & Connor. Every time AJ came on he looked lively. I also struggle to understand (&have mentioned before) why bring in unfit players for a promotion push? Surely if that's all we could get they should have been put on individual monitored fitness plans to try to get them up to speed? Unfortunately from the evidence Jordan(a quality lad I'm sure) didn't seem to improve his level at all.
bozzer
Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by bozzer »

I think it was very difficult when Burgess came in, he wouldn't have wanted to make big changes due to the squad having got us where we were in the first place. He needed to see what we had here and then very quickly the transfer deadline happened, ideally he would have replaced Ravi and Deacon, but he didn't know what he had until it was almost too late. Jordan Graham hasn't played for a season at least so he's not going to be match fit in 10 weeks, what we have seen is he has quality, and without him we would have been out of the play offs before easter Monday I am sure.

It took Peaks 3 years to put together the squad good enough to get us to the playoffs at step 3 and one that suited the system he wanted to play. Burgess will need to decide who he wants for his system and this interim period has given him a good opportunity to see who on the current squad he feels can do that, I hope he keeps the majority and sprinkles in some quality particularly on the left wing, and maybe a bit of steel in the midfield.
AFC R&D Member No. 67
diamondsteve
Has Liked: 157 times
Been Liked: 22 times

Post by diamondsteve »

bozzer wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:22 pm I’m just gutted at the moment, from where we were we shouldn’t have thrown the playoff spot away. That said from the day Peaksy left having lost Ravi for the season, Deacon up the road, Collard out for the season, the luck we’ve had has been awful and since Bromsgrove we’ve been very nervous and it just caught up on us.

I hope we can keep most of the team and add some quality as well, it will certainly be ingeresting to see
Awful luck with injuries. I’m pretty sure if any of the playoff teams had the injuries and top striker leave like we have they also would of dropped off. It’s certain .

I did get the impression from the start of the match that we was happy to finish 6th. Very hard to say that but the players have been through some trauma this past month with the side being disjointed and the hard work they’ve given.

If we did play Tuesday night I just don’t know where we’d get the energy from as we’ve run empty.

Would really like to see Bully be player coach next season , what he adds to this club is unreal . He’s a role model to the likes of Alex
AFCRD_Dan
Has Liked: 99 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

One of the problems this season for us has been scoring goals.

The top six goals wise was as follows;

Sports- 94
Banbury- 92
Coalville- 86
Rushall- 80
Us and Alvechurch- 57

Which goes to prove that money is needed to get a decent striker.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 73
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by davealbon »

AFCRD_Dan wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:04 am One of the problems this season for us has been scoring goals.

The top six goals wise was as follows;

Sports- 94
Banbury- 92
Coalville- 86
Rushall- 80
Us and Alvechurch- 57

Which goes to prove that money is needed to get a decent striker.
You're right, but I think our issues lie deeper than that - we haven't been creating enough, and no matter how good your strikeforce is, if you don't give them chances they're not going to score.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297