[ Sat 23rd Apr ] v Nuneaton Borough, KO 3pm SLPDC HOME

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 92 times

Re: [ Sat 23rd Apr ] v Nuneaton Borough, KO 3pm SLPDC HOME

Post by Dazzler »

Highlights and interviews with AFCRDTV

Jazzy_10
Has Liked: 13 times
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by Jazzy_10 »

Didn’t want to make my first post a negative one, but feel a lot of questions need to be asked after yesterday.

We’ve played like a bottom half team since Burgess took over (the form table shows that too) and the last two games just showed a real lack of experience in setting up a team to win Vs some really poor opposition.

A few key players were missing but that’s no excuse to be having from what I counted were about 3 shots on target against 2 bottom half table teams with terrible defensive records. They’ve both conceded 152 goals this season, and we couldn’t score playing with 2 strikers… and it’s not just the service that was poor. The set up was wrong and the decision to play/sign the forwards we have were wrong as well. Why were we resorting to long balls continuously when it clearly offered no return Vs St Ives, and then to do the same again Vs Nuneaton yesterday?

And can I just say what are we doing clapping the team off after performing like that? No, we shouldn’t be celebrating how far they’ve come this season, to choke a play off space in the manner we’ve done is inexcusable. Are we happy to stay as we are for the next 5 years with no real push in the right direction? A manager with no experience and a board seemingly happy to stay in step 3 football is the perfect recipe for that.

Bad decisions from all areas of the club lately, including the clubs timing of announcing the manager as permanent. Would it be the right call to make him permanent from today knowing he was only a temp for the rest of the season? I’m sure a few would be doubting the decision if we made that announcement today.

Would we have the won the playoffs? Unlikely. But just making the playoffs would’ve been a great springboard for the next season. Very disappointed, and the inevitable ‘limited resources’ we’ll have next season probably means we should expect this to continue.
rossco
Been Liked: 2 times

Post by rossco »

Jazzy_10 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:34 am
And can I just say what are we doing clapping the team off after performing like that? No, we shouldn’t be celebrating how far they’ve come this season, to choke a play off space in the manner we’ve done is inexcusable.
Agree with some of your points but, I’m always going to applaud my team at the end of the season no matter what the outcome. Yes it was disappointing but after a long season the squad deserve the applause. Even after relegation with the old club we stayed and applauded them off…..
Biggles
Been Liked: 25 times

Post by Biggles »

Jazzy_10 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:34 am And can I just say what are we doing clapping the team off after performing like that? No, we shouldn’t be celebrating how far they’ve come this season, to choke a play off space in the manner we’ve done is inexcusable. Are we happy to stay as we are for the next 5 years with no real push in the right direction? A manager with no experience and a board seemingly happy to stay in step 3 football is the perfect recipe for that.
Well unless we get more Sponsors and Sponsors with deeper pockets then yes we will stay where we are as the Level up will require a lot more money not just for the squad but no doubt for Ground improvements to meet standards that go with Step 2 Football.

We have to accept that the fan base will be between 500-750 for the foreseeable future unless we go the way of the Majority of teams and sell our soul to a very Rich man who may be a good man or another shyster in the making.

We may be upset and disappointed but i am happy with our lot which cannot be said for Oldham fans who are the latest to be let done by their Owners and could be facing the abyss like Bury which i congratulate AFC Bury on their success on a first promotion and the long road back has started for them.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 32
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 92 times

Post by Dazzler »

fentiger79
Has Liked: 48 times
Been Liked: 85 times

Post by fentiger79 »

Peaksy had put together a very decent team this year and our run was built around the style of play that had Deacon as the focal point of our attacking play. The inter play between our attacking players were a joy to watch when we were at our best, fast, one touch and dangerous. Losing Ravi was huge but slightly manageable as we still had players who could play that system. When Peaksy went it again was a massive loss but nobody could argue he didn’t deserve the opportunity. Was the timing good, of course not but it happened. The Ty move was the one that hurt us the most, we lost the player who allowed us to play the way we did and was so successful with it. How could we replace him at such short notice. Although I bet he wishes now he had never moved after not even getting in their team now and no goals scored. We managed to plug the gaps for so long but the losing of Collard our team became too stretched and it all caught up with us. Losing Hughes was also a blow as we had to move Diamond from midfield who had been great there. We simply just ran out of steam at the last moment. I do believe Burge will bring in some decent players with his contacts and he is the right man to take us forward. Roll on to next year, I will be there.
SimonHillington9
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 15 times

Post by SimonHillington9 »

Jazzy_10 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:34 am Didn’t want to make my first post a negative one, but feel a lot of questions need to be asked after yesterday.

We’ve played like a bottom half team since Burgess took over (the form table shows that too) and the last two games just showed a real lack of experience in setting up a team to win Vs some really poor opposition.

A few key players were missing but that’s no excuse to be having from what I counted were about 3 shots on target against 2 bottom half table teams with terrible defensive records. They’ve both conceded 152 goals this season, and we couldn’t score playing with 2 strikers… and it’s not just the service that was poor. The set up was wrong and the decision to play/sign the forwards we have were wrong as well. Why were we resorting to long balls continuously when it clearly offered no return Vs St Ives, and then to do the same again Vs Nuneaton yesterday?

And can I just say what are we doing clapping the team off after performing like that? No, we shouldn’t be celebrating how far they’ve come this season, to choke a play off space in the manner we’ve done is inexcusable. Are we happy to stay as we are for the next 5 years with no real push in the right direction? A manager with no experience and a board seemingly happy to stay in step 3 football is the perfect recipe for that.

Bad decisions from all areas of the club lately, including the clubs timing of announcing the manager as permanent. Would it be the right call to make him permanent from today knowing he was only a temp for the rest of the season? I’m sure a few would be doubting the decision if we made that announcement today.

Would we have the won the playoffs? Unlikely. But just making the playoffs would’ve been a great springboard for the next season. Very disappointed, and the inevitable ‘limited resources’ we’ll have next season probably means we should expect this to continue.
And that’s the truth of it. Look you won’t catch me leaving the ground without clapping whatever happens. But sadly either 1 eye is kept on the money and purse strings tightened, or the funds were wasted. Together the strikers had less goals than collard, I can’t believe we couldn’t get a current goalscorer who would Chance it for a playoffs run. Or pay extra for a few weeks.
When u don’t risk or take advantage of the position, well be stuck here. NOT COMPETITIVE ENUFF.
If you want the rainbow, youve got to put up with the rain
bozzer
Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by bozzer »

Jazzy_10 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:34 am Didn’t want to make my first post a negative one, but feel a lot of questions need to be asked after yesterday.

I’ll have a go at answering your questions

I don’t feel we’ve played like a bottom half team since Burge arrived e.g I thought away at Redditch we were excellent as we were at Coalville, the more injuries we got the worse it became.

Should we not be clapping the team off, yes we should, they felt like we all felt yesterday but it’s for the whole season and as gutted as I was I wanted to thank them as much for the games at Needham, and Hednesford as I did for yesterday.

If we are at this level for 5 years then so be it, as someone else has mentioned without a huge increase in sponsorship or selling our soul (been there done that) then absolutely I’ll take step 3 football for the next 5 years, if we get in the playoffs and have a cup run that would be good too.

For some perspective, You have to compare it to some other clubs who reformed look at 1874 Northwick or Scarborough, Scarborough reformed before us and are for the first time flirting with the playoffs, and they have their own ground and they have bigger crowds.

I think announcing the manager as permanent was great timing, if we hadn’t then there would have been discussions today whether we should be, meanwhile other managers will be tapping up our players, now Andy can get on with planning for next season, he’s brought an air of professionalism which has been great and let’s see what he can do next season.

I’m gutted still about yesterday but he’s got my full support and I can’t wait to see what he can do next season
AFC R&D Member No. 67
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

The whole question what level a Community Owned Club that doesn't have a beneficial arrangement for their ground e.g. with their local authority can aspire to might be worth some debate.

Would we have generated enough extra revenue to fund time at Step 2, with massively increased travel costs, wages etc?

Could we have supported the costs of moving to a new ground while at that level - or does it need to happen before any promotion?

Some parallels and examples here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_f ... ms#England
mattparker
Has Liked: 42 times
Been Liked: 31 times

Post by mattparker »

bozzer wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:45 pm
I think announcing the manager as permanent was great timing, if we hadn’t then there would have been discussions today whether we should be, meanwhile other managers will be tapping up our players, now Andy can get on with planning for next season, he’s brought an air of professionalism which has been great and let’s see what he can do next season.
Completely agree, making the role permanent could/should have made a positive impact at an important time. For me the club is very fortunate to have Andy Burgess want to take on the role.