[ STADIUM PITCH RENOVATION ] MAY/JUNE/JULY/AUGUST 2022

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
therushden
Has Liked: 138 times
Been Liked: 7 times

Re: [ STADIUM PITCH RENOVATION ] MAY 2022

Post by therushden »

Top work. That'll be a green carpet by the time pre season friendlies start.
Now for sunshine and showers.
Dale Roberts. England's number 1.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 50
rdusher
Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 57 times

Post by rdusher »

Top work Darren, and not easy work either. Well done mate
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 140 times

Post by BartonRaz »

Top work Darren and thanks for keeping everyone up to date. Good to hear that Mark is back involved too.

I recall before last season started we were all complimenting the way the pitch looked on this forum. I'd say it possibly held together a bit longer this year but by the end of the season, the pitch was a state and a hinderance to the team, to say the least. Are we doing anything different this year?

We've been at Hayden Road for 5 years now and I feel like in the 5 years we had at the Dog & Duck, the pitch was totally transformed. There have been obvious improvements over the course of the last 5 years at Hayden Road but I wouldn't say it's been at the same pace. What are the issues you're contending with at Hayden Road, that perhaps you weren't at the Dog & Duck?
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

BartonRaz wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:12 pm What are the issues you're contending with at Hayden Road, that perhaps you weren't at the Dog & Duck?
I understand that the drainage issues associated with the bottom half of the pitch that led to major flooding issues a couple of years back were never satisfactorily resolved mainly due to a complete lack of documented evidence/plans as to where the drainage was installed. Short a major excavation work I suspect any remedial work will effectively be a patch up.
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 59 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

We've still a long way to go to match Latimer Park, which is so bad it contributed to Culverhouse walking out on Poppies. Keep up the good work guys and hopefully volunteers can get to work over the summer to spruce up any other areas of HR that need doing. I am sure some work is needed although I thought the ground looked pretty good. I really enjoyed my time when I was able to work at D and D and HR, anything from weeding to concreting. I still have the ability to work, the problem is the geography.
Dazzler
The Staff
Been Liked: 92 times

Post by Dazzler »

BartonRaz wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:12 pm Top work Darren and thanks for keeping everyone up to date. Good to hear that Mark is back involved too.
I recall before last season started we were all complimenting the way the pitch looked on this forum. I'd say it possibly held together a bit longer this year but by the end of the season, the pitch was a state and a hinderance to the team, to say the least. Are we doing anything different this year?
Technically Mark never went away - he was still advising us, and all work undertaken was checked with Mark. He also did the majority of the pre-match line marking too. He is back fully (part time) from June 1st, whilst he finishes off some other work in the mean time.

We are always trying things - even if it doesn't appear so from the outside. And people also mostly remember and comment on bad pitches and games rather than the good pitches (which are the majority imho).

Some solutions are of course way outside of our budgets, plus it's also hard to invest in some longer term solutions when a payback would be way after you are likely to be at the same location (especially if it's things you can't take with you)..so it's a case of balancing many issues, not all obvious.

And of course many people have different opinions (especially with pitches); we just deal with industry experienced people from Mark to Rob and other grounds/turf industry contacts in their networks. From the recent works RS Groundcare certainly thought the base level of the pitch & grass is improving year on year as we'd hope.
BartonRaz wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:12 pm We've been at Hayden Road for 5 years now and I feel like in the 5 years we had at the Dog & Duck, the pitch was totally transformed. There have been obvious improvements over the course of the last 5 years at Hayden Road but I wouldn't say it's been at the same pace.
What are the issues you're contending with at Hayden Road, that perhaps you weren't at the Dog & Duck?
In summary probably Worms and Water, and to some degree drainage, though as we get more sand in the surface that improves over time without a large expense of a new drainage system (the DnD drainage actually worked very well though went through a few pumps). If we get heavy prolonged rain then most places will struggle to balance matches - but the more grass you keep on the better. (Although with thicker grass if you look over the fence like some opponents did you'll miss heavily waterlogged areas as it will just look nice lush.

The main issue for many non league pitches with the type of soil we have is worms and worm casts (from Early October to Feb/Mid March), and also with a high clay level - drying out.

With the worm casts - we tried one treatment last year which didn't seem to be too effective (though there are lots of variables), and have plans for an alternative treatment this year at the appropriate time (Early October). The worm casts are what causes the sloppy/loose top few centimetres on the pitch which gives unsure footing (and sticks to the boots), as well as making it harder to cut and get on pitch. In addition that smearing of worm casts also covers grass so also you start to lose coverage which then further impacts the surface. If you don't get some dry days - you can't easily drag matt to knock back worm casts etc.

We use a club purchased spikers and slitters and drag mats to help alleviate this when ok to get on the surface, and also save on more expensive full vertidrains (though we still try to do that once or twice in the season).

Then after the wet period we had a nice spell, and then late March/ early April was unusually dry with very little rain - and with a limited sprinkler setup, a broken water meter and a few other issues - that made it hard to get moisture on the surface. We also skipped the spring fertiliser feed as well which always helps boost the grass, as it was too dry to apply without good watering. This led the grass plant to not grow laterally hence we had gaps in the surface which leads to a slightly bobbly surface (that actual soil surface was as level as we can get with drag matts etc..). Normally in March/April the grass will start to grow and infil the lost areas to get back to the cushioned surface all over - so that's what was missing.

We'd already planned to improve the sprinkler setup in the summer - due shortly to allow us to get better coverage more easily overnight - so that wasn't an option for the dry April.

At the end of the day we do what we can with the budget we have - which is shared equally between both clubs during the season, and rest assured the people looking after the pitch want it to be the best it can more than anyone.
Dazzler
The Staff

Post by Dazzler »

sussexdiamond wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:04 am We've still a long way to go to match Latimer Park, which is so bad it contributed to Culverhouse walking out on Poppies. Keep up the good work guys and hopefully volunteers can get to work over the summer to spruce up any other areas of HR that need doing. I am sure some work is needed although I thought the ground looked pretty good. I really enjoyed my time when I was able to work at D and D and HR, anything from weeding to concreting. I still have the ability to work, the problem is the geography.
Stadium Works will be a separate thread - but we're on top of most things already as I prefer continual maintenance rather than and end of season big bang approach. We don't have any major works planned this close season. For one it spreads costs out too, but also means in general the stadium should be in a good state all the time (and not just spruced up for the start of the season).

We have a few regular volunteers we call on for tasks to cover most issues around the ground, and will put a more general call out if required.
Dazzler
The Staff

Post by Dazzler »

Trek wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:17 am
BartonRaz wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:12 pm What are the issues you're contending with at Hayden Road, that perhaps you weren't at the Dog & Duck?
I understand that the drainage issues associated with the bottom half of the pitch that led to major flooding issues a couple of years back were never satisfactorily resolved mainly due to a complete lack of documented evidence/plans as to where the drainage was installed. Short a major excavation work I suspect any remedial work will effectively be a patch up.
I have made an accurate map of the pitch with the 90's drainage system (Herringbone, slightly offset from centre, with runs into it every 7.5-8m from the edge of the pitch), plus evidence of the earlier system which had a French drain down the far dug out side with the drains going out from the centre. We also redid the main junction in the centre of the penalty area and added lots of gravel and sand - so that area also drains well now.

The main water sump (bottom left corner) does not get much water into it generally even when we first arrived there wasn't much flow and now it's generally dry - so much so that we haven't yet refitted a new pump in there.

Without a permanent stay planned it's not really within any useful budget to replace an existing full pitch drainage system - so we have done like we did in a few bad parts at DnD - Dug out a large 1m+ Square, and added gravel and sand layers, then deep turfs cut from edge of pitch - we've done that in a few places, and along with general levelling, and more sand top dressing we keep an eye on how that develops and if other works are needed in other locations.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 140 times

Post by BartonRaz »

Thanks for all the info - a great insight in to what goes on.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
diamondsteve
Has Liked: 157 times
Been Liked: 22 times

Post by diamondsteve »

Dazzler wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:25 am
BartonRaz wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:12 pm Top work Darren and thanks for keeping everyone up to date. Good to hear that Mark is back involved too.
The main issue for many non league pitches with the type of soil we have is worms and worm casts (from Early October to Feb/Mid March), and also with a With the worm casts - we tried one treatment last year which didn't seem to be too effective (though there are lots of variables), and have plans for an alternative treatment this year at the appropriate time (Early October). The worm casts are what causes the sloppy/loose top few centimetres on the pitch which gives unsure footing (and sticks to the boots), as well as making it harder to cut and get on pitch. In addition that smearing of worm casts also covers grass so also you start to lose coverage which then further impacts the surface. If you don't get some dry days - you can't easily drag matt to knock back worm casts etc.
Old Trafford believe it or not use Garlic to get rid of worms