[ Sat 9th Jul ] v Stamford AFC, KO 3pm PSF AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
SimonHillington9
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 15 times

Re: [ Sat 9th Jul ] v Stamford AFC, KO 3pm PSF AWAY

Post by SimonHillington9 »

It’s taken us this long to realies that this is a physical league for physical players. these players have to show there level against teams below us, too much dross even this early in preseason, no ifs no but. Looking like a knee jerk busy end to preseason to sort team out, something I was worried about earlyer in summer
If you want the rainbow, youve got to put up with the rain
discodunk
Been Liked: 15 times

Post by discodunk »

maybe a bit controversial here ,,but whats happened to the player lottery fund,,,havent seen any evidence of it being used yet !!!
AFC RUSHDEN AND DIAMONDS MEMBERSHIP NUMBER-54
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 59 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

Sounds as though we need The Viking. Still waiting for international clearance. Just hope he is available against Cogenhoe next week. We don't want to give Biff anything to crow about. But 12 goals against in 3 games is a worry at any time.
Mad Dog
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by Mad Dog »

discodunk wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:48 pm maybe a bit controversial here ,,but whats happened to the player lottery fund,,,havent seen any evidence of it being used yet !!!
First Team Manager Andy Burgess supported by available Team Building Lottery funds has stepped up preparations this week with three more players signing on for the 2022/23 season
https://www.afcdiamonds.com/three-more-sign-on/
Ricky330
Has Liked: 303 times
Been Liked: 21 times

Post by Ricky330 »

Fair play to Burge & team for unearthing a couple of potential gems in Evans & Courtney. However, have to agree with comments after today's horror show. We need step 3 experienced players in now (correct me if I'm wrong but only Hicks so far?) Most teams (even Hitchin ) have assembled the majority of their squads so we are massively behind the curve here.
Questions. If we are going to play 2 strikers where does Tshikuna fit in? Where does Snellus fit in? ( I thought he was a striker but was playing almost a midfield role today? Is Jones still involved (I believe he's on a sponsor walk in memory of his Dad, but clarification would be useful) Paddy? Has he signed or not? (Pic removed from player gallery).
Anyone able to help?
GreekDiamond
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Post by GreekDiamond »

Mad Dog wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:09 pm
discodunk wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:48 pm maybe a bit controversial here ,,but whats happened to the player lottery fund,,,havent seen any evidence of it being used yet !!!
First Team Manager Andy Burgess supported by available Team Building Lottery funds has stepped up preparations this week with three more players signing on for the 2022/23 season
https://www.afcdiamonds.com/three-more-sign-on/
I won’t lie, knowing that we’ve had to already dip into the player fund to sign these 3, bringing the total of signed players to ONLY 7 worries me, especially as we’ve had our best and likely top earners at the club already leave and free up their wage.

I thought the player fund was there to help the club sign to top players that are guaranteed to improve the team. Not to help Andy build the starting block of an actual starting XI
Mad Dog
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by Mad Dog »

That isn’t how it works. Elements of the lottery has been used to help secure certain players, leaving the rest to be used elsewhere.
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 59 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

Mad Dog wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:50 pm That isn’t how it works. Elements of the lottery has been used to help secure certain players, leaving the rest to be used elsewhere.
I believe we needed to increase wages to Snedker and Casey to keep them. Although we have conceded 8 goals to Step 3 clubs ironically we do seem to have some decent defenders. Snedker, Casey, Hughes, Lashley, Evan and soon Fossen. Midfield we have Akubine, Hicks(?) Tshikuna, Furlong and FBT(?). Cooper(?) seems to be only striker. Fringe players we have Nixon, Chikamba, Corden and Snelus.
Biggles
Been Liked: 25 times

Post by Biggles »

Its back to my favorite word Reality, Most other teams in our League have a backbone of previous squad players from last Season which gives them all a very large advantage over us. We don't have a large checkbook to waft around in front of experienced players to lure them here and don't go on about
the Lottery money, its not like it brings in mega Bucks and can buy us a whole team and you have to keep some in reserve in case of need later.

When Peaks left it was a gimme virtually all our experienced players would form a orderly queue up to Tamworth it probably was only League rules
that prevented them going last season on mass to Tamworth.

We now have a total rebuild and AB has to evaluate players in these early games and i think to his disappointment that some of the players that have been recommended have been very below par so far at least, so it will be a very hard slog to get a team together that gels and operates as a team, yesterday you saw a bunch of individuals not working together, not talking to each other or not encouraging each other i expect our Viking may put
some of that in but we need a couple more older heads to guide the younger players that we choose or loan for next season.

Please stop expecting miracles (although they do happen) that we will be a a full working unit by the season start, AB has only a couple of days each week to work with them i expect a tough star to the season.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 32
Ricky330
Has Liked: 303 times
Been Liked: 21 times

Post by Ricky330 »

sussexdiamond wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:39 am
Mad Dog wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:50 pm That isn’t how it works. Elements of the lottery has been used to help secure certain players, leaving the rest to be used elsewhere.
I believe we needed to increase wages to Snedker and Casey to keep them. Although we have conceded 8 goals to Step 3 clubs ironically we do seem to have some decent defenders. Snedker, Casey, Hughes, Lashley, Evan and soon Fossen. Midfield we have Akubine, Hicks(?) Tshikuna, Furlong and FBT(?). Cooper(?) seems to be only striker. Fringe players we have Nixon, Chikamba, Corden and Snelus.
As far as I am aware neither Sneds or Tshikuna have signed. Hicks hasn't signed. There is also some confusion over whether Paddy has signed as well. (his picture was removed from current player gallery) FBT not back till late September (hasn't signed tho) . Therefore , we don't have much of a squad at this stage. Fairly certain that Corden Nixon & Snellus won't feature much if at all either.
Last edited by Ricky330 on Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.