Just got back....

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Harry

Re: Just got back....

Post by Harry »

Wasn't there so obviously didn't see how bad the ref was, but I hope Justin doesn't get in trouble for his reaction at the end of the game!

Another 12 match unbeaten run would be nice now. :D
Diamond down South.
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

I wonder if referee Jeremy Simpson has been referred to as "homer" Simpson before ? It was certainly a cartoon performance from him.

There seems to be plenty of "stressing the negative" again. I thought it was an excellent performance - a changed side that might easily have relaxed after making the playoffs but dominated play for much of the game. No mention of the awful tackle by Istead on Terry which contrasted with the two challenges from JLo - and no mention of JLo's two assists for the goals. No mention of the clear penalty claim in the first half either. The Stags midfield was overrun by ours for much of the game, and had no part in their first two goals - it was only after we went down to 10 men that they started to get a look-in.

Robbo seems to be getting some unfair criticism too - his main mistake of the night was failing to get a tackle on Briscoe after he'd skipped past Stuart, but that was the break where they missed the open goal. Regarding the Stags penalty, even Nix himself looked less than convinced it was a spot kick - agreeing it was less of a claim than an earlier one.

My reaction after the game was "how did we lose that" and thoughts about the referee, rather than reflecting on the red card or the late chances for the Stags.

Those that were there gave great support to the team on the night (something JE made special mention of).
rushdenman

Post by rushdenman »

The light seemed very poor, particularly in the first half, and it was difficult to see the action clearly at the far end.

It was a really good up-tempo performance for the most part but we uncharacteristically were guilty of some poor defending in the second half.
Having said that, we would have undoubtedly won the game had it not been for the clown that was masquerading as a referee last night. The incident where he booked Akurang for diving was incredible - Marriot clearly grabbed Cliff round his ankles to bring him down - nailed on penalty and yellow for Marriot should have been the result.
The trip on O'Connor was also clear but had the penalty been given he would probably have had to dismiss the offending Mansfield player, which is probably why he bottled it.
The first half handball was difficult too see clearly from our end but I assumed it was regarded as hand to ball rather than vice versa.

Potentially Mr. Simpson could have deprived our club of a payday amounting to several hundred thousand pounds as it looks likely that we will now play Luton rather than Oxford in the semis - a much more difficult task in my opinion.
AlwaysAmberBlog

Post by AlwaysAmberBlog »

Stags fan here.

You were the best team to visit Field Mill this season based on the first half performance. We couldn't get near you and O'Connor showed us why we shouldn't of got rid of him. Fair play to him not celebrating either. Top man.

Second half was good. Two great goals by Speight for us and a great finish by that lad for you. I was sat at the opposite end of the ground but I thought you were denied two decent penalty shouts. The one we got was really, really soft. Louis deserved to be sent off IMO. A blatant shove on Nicholas in the first half straight into the hoardings and then a cynical foul when we were on the counter attack. Hands around the lads waist and dragged him down. :lol:

Good luck in the play offs, hope you manage to go up! I'll be writing a little report on my site later on.

www.alwaysamber.co.uk
RushdenTillIDie

Post by RushdenTillIDie »

AlwaysAmberBlog wrote:Stags fan here.

You were the best team to visit Field Mill this season based on the first half performance. We couldn't get near you and O'Connor showed us why we shouldn't of got rid of him. Fair play to him not celebrating either. Top man.

Second half was good. Two great goals by Speight for us and a great finish by that lad for you. I was sat at the opposite end of the ground but I thought you were denied two decent penalty shouts. The one we got was really, really soft. Louis deserved to be sent off IMO. A blatant shove on Nicholas in the first half straight into the hoardings and then a cynical foul when we were on the counter attack. Hands around the lads waist and dragged him down. :lol:

Good luck in the play offs, hope you manage to go up! I'll be writing a little report on my site later on.

http://www.alwaysamber.co.uk
Ridiculously honest opinion! Good Luck next season, hopefully we wont be playing you ;)
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

A very honest assessment. It sounded like the Stags fans weren't too happy with Andy Burgess after his comments in the local paper.
Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

What did Andy Burgess say in the local paper to upset the Stags fans, then?
AFCR&D Member Number 38 - Proud member of a Community Football Club, currently in exile in West Wales!
Mad Dog
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by Mad Dog »

Steve

Post by Steve »

AlwaysAmberBlog wrote:Stags fan here.

http://www.alwaysamber.co.uk
Top post, agree with the lot

Gotta say I thought we were dominant at times in the first half, & thought we played some nice bits of football throughout too, with players like Byrne, O'Connor and Patto playing some nice little touches at times

O'Connor looked lively and dangerous whenever he got the ball. Also thought Byrne was brilliant again, he pops up and wins the ball all over the place and then does something with it instead of wasting it or doing too much. I'm also VERY pleased that Sam has finally got the goal and it clearly meant a lot to him, everyone has been willing him to score and I genuinely think he could end the season with 3/4 now.

My only down points were: A I thought Patto wasnt great, but tbf he hasn't had much playing time lately, B Why the hell are we still persisting with Akurang. He is a poor footballer and can only get into the team when he is scoring, and he isn't at the moment. Apart from a small amount of aerial ability he adds nothing to the team. I know Jeffers isn't everyones favourite player but he a much better option in the same role IMO. C Jeffers red card was silly, should know better.

Overall though, this was my first trip to Mansfield and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience, only spoilt by the Ref

Edit: Also want to say I thought Briscoe was impressive for Mansfield. Got himself through two or three times using his skill, although the 1 on 1 he missed in the first half was poor :D
Steve

Post by Steve »

One more thought about last night, would like to know if anyone agrees.

I thought Huke had by far his best game for us from what I have seen, the only time I have missed him was Wimbledon where he came on as a CM, so that would be difficult to compare anyway.

Looked very sound at the back and quite dangerous going forward. Nearly got in once with a lovely first touch, just didn't quite latch onto it. I would say we're not particularly missing Corky atm if Huke can keep it up