Lost [ Sat 6th Jan ] v Gresley Rovers, KO 3pm NPLD1M HOME

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
fentiger79
Has Liked: 48 times
Been Liked: 86 times

Re: [ Sat 6th Jan ] v Gresley Rovers, KO 3pm NPLD1M HOME

Post by fentiger79 »

I’m bitterly disappointed by yesterday and this season as a whole (well the last 18 months bar a few games). Any talk of changing the manager is a bit pointless. I doubt Tom and Michael wanted it but took it as there was nobody else. I agree they shouldn’t be exempt from criticism but what’s happened before is playing a huge part of what we are trying to do now. If we had signed the likes of Ngwa, Inman, O’Neil, Heath, Wilson at the beginning of the season we would have been very happy. We were the better team yesterday as we have been for a lot of games this year. Our problem is we can’t win games, game management and confidence. I’m sure the message of keeping it tight first 10 yesterday was said a thousand times in the changing room before the game. Then the right back attempts a poor clearance that hits a player in the face and falls back to one of theirs and one cross and goal. We need a win, do t care how it comes, battered for 89 minutes and then a goal of someone’s backside. We need to break this run, I thought it would be yesterday but we were not good enough (not in the play but in the game management)
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 55 times
Been Liked: 32 times

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

:meeting:
diamondsteve wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:17 am Hope we are messaging the big man Carling today.
Would he even want to come though? Was coach for many years and very popular around the club, but doesn't mean he'd want to jump ship. Last four managers have done a below standard job so it looks like a poison chalice of a task to try and turn things around. I'd be looking to make an appointment in the summer, give the new man a preseason to get a team up and running, for what will probably be starting from scratch again!
Olly
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 106 times

Post by Olly »

Matt.T wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:31 am Hi Sussexdiamond, completely understand your point of view and respect it. The aim of the visits by candidates is to create a positive relationship whoever gains the seat.

I can confirm that candidates of all parties have been invited and the same processs will be followed on all. These discussions included the new ground, playing pitch strategy, the work done in the community, academy and how that links with Moulton College.

Furthermore, it was demonstrated to Gen that the majority of work done is by volunteers who support the club as a community benefit society in order to have a club where we can all come together to support and build for the future.

Over the last 15 months, we have also developed strong relationships with North Northants Council, again by demonstrating what we do and could do in the future. We had representatives from NNC yesterday present and have welcomed the Deputy Leader of NNC to the Legends event as well and from this we can help develop policies, infrastructure that not only help us as a club but hopefully increase our impact in the local area which can hopefully increase the fan base.

If you want to discuss in person further or via email just let me know I'd be delighted to help.

Best wishes,

Matt

Matt.taylor@afc-diamonds.com
Thank you Matt for coming on here to explain, personally I can only see it as a good thing building these relationships with NNC/local MP, hugely appreciative of the work that is going on behind the scenes from the board members!
R.I.P. Dale Roberts

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 308
Olly
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 106 times

Post by Olly »

Lawman wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:53 am
AFCRD_Dan wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:08 am
Wrong appointments, I’m not counting Nunn in that as coming in after Burgess and Maxwell was always going to be hard.
What complete nonsense, you can't blame Nunn. This situation is completely down to Nunn. Pre season he wasn't interested in, just about scraping past sub standard opposition, no gelling of players. 11 games, zero points, defeated at the first hurdle of the FA Cup (One step below us) along with the FA Trophy. Mike and Tom are on catch up trying to attract players whilst bottom of the table. A near impossible task. We keep hearing about young players. Just look at Lye Town, can't afford the older experience players. Where are they in the league? and they develope players from their Academy.
Agreed, Nunn can't be exempt from blame, we managed to finish last season in such a positive fashion (incredible to think that less than a year ago we were seconds away from beating Tamworth who could be four levels higher than us soon) and even though we did lose a lot of that team, Nunn was unable to carry that positivity into the new season and build a team that he claimed would be competitive.

It really is baffling how bad we've been since Peaks left, I wasn't expecting much from this season, but to come down a league and have an even worse season than at the level above is a nightmare, but that's where we're at, it just hasn't worked out and we're left looking forward to the next season months before the current season has finished again.

At least we have the FA Vase next year I guess!
R.I.P. Dale Roberts

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 308
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 144 times

Post by BartonRaz »

Wrong appointments, I’m not counting Nunn in that as coming in after Burgess and Maxwell was always going to be hard.
As I’ve said before, I’ve got nothing but respect for the board, but they made the wrong decision in appointing Harriman, I wasn’t exactly enthused when he was announced as our manager after one good result, didn’t think anything would improve, seems that’s the case.
Not sure I should really rise to all this but I've explained this in detail once before. Nobody of any standing in the game at this level applied. Nobody of any standing in the levels below locally applied. Nobody we approached wanted it. We were bottom of the league, out all of the cups, had lost every game and have had well-publicised financial issues and issues with the governance of the Club. There was no decision. It was virtually the only decision and to be honest at the time, it felt like the right one and not just because they'd won one game.

It also wasn't one we could delay. Like I've said we were bottom of the league. Players were interested but wouldn't sign given the uncertainty around management. We needed new players. Everybody needed certainty and in good faith that's what we gave them.

It seems ridiculous writing this because I'm aware that football is a results business but in my opinion they've done pretty much everything they could have done to try and turn this around with the exception of trialing different formations which, having chatted to Michael, he is open to but doesn't feel we have the players at the moment to play any other way. Our difficulties attracting forward players even from steps 5 and 6 has been well documented, let alone players that have been there and done it at our level. Again this isn't a money issue. Players don't want to come and be a part of this. It's as simple as that.

Nobody is more gutted about what's happened this season then I am, I can assure everyone of that. We won't give up but naturally it would be sensible to begin forecasting for what next season might look like. There was a good post earlier in this thread from rickthediamond in which he mentioned the outcome of that should be shared with part-owners and I agree, so that's something I'm sure we will look to do in due course.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
fentiger79
Has Liked: 48 times
Been Liked: 86 times

Post by fentiger79 »

The FA Vase is one positive if we go down, really like that competition.
rickthediamond
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 48 times

Post by rickthediamond »

fentiger79 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:03 pm The FA Vase is one positive if we go down, really like that competition.
Agreed, being a Step 5 team in the Vase gives a real chance of getting close to a Wembley trip!
Lee Tomlin la la la
AFCRD_Dan
Has Liked: 101 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

What complete nonsense, you can't blame Nunn. This situation is completely down to Nunn. Pre season he wasn't interested in, just about scraping past sub standard opposition, no gelling of players. 11 games, zero points, defeated at the first hurdle of the FA Cup (One step below us) along with the FA Trophy. Mike and Tom are on catch up trying to attract players whilst bottom of the table. A near impossible task. We keep hearing about young players. Just look at Lye Town, can't afford the older experience players. Where are they in the league? and they develope players from their Academy.
Fair enough I respect that you have a different opinion on Nunn.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 73
Lawman
Has Liked: 3 times
Been Liked: 2 times

Post by Lawman »

AFCRD_Dan wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:26 pm
Fair enough I respect that you have a different opinion on Nunn.
What facts in my original post are incorrect. Lower level, blank sheet, not the lowest budget. Cast your mind back, the budget wasn't an issue. Not my words watch the interview
rickthediamond
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 48 times

Post by rickthediamond »

Well, unsurprisingly here we are playing the blame game. If we spent half as much time as fans trying to help the club that we spend lamenting about our woes and blaming people for our downfall, we might not be in this situation! Nunn’s efforts this season were shambolic, we know that! Nunn didn’t use enough of his budget, we know that too!! We have to move on and constructively put our heads together to make sure we break free from this situation in the future.
Lee Tomlin la la la