Rushden Spartans Proposed Name Change

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
rickthediamond
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 48 times

Rushden Spartans Proposed Name Change

Post by rickthediamond »

Admittedly, I’ve only just seen this, and the post is now a month old. It is also probably a much ado about nothing but maybe it could be an intriguing discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/share/FwgGQ2TR ... tid=WC7FNe

Would love to hear everyone’s opinion on this announcement. Personally, I have to admit it doesn’t sit well with me at all. Admittedly, I was born after the merger in 1992 and thus never had the privilege of watching Rushden Town FC play. However, I absolutely love looking at the old pictures, reading the old match reports etc etc and learning the club’s long history. I urge everyone to like the ‘RUSHDEN TOWN FC (Gone but not forgotten)’ page on Facebook, it really is fantastic. Credit to everyone who posts on the page, particularly Jamie & Rick who I believe created it, or at least post some brilliant stuff.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. I know it’s somewhat of a touchy topic, as there was a group of people who were very upset with the RDFC merger. I think most understand that the merger was beneficial for both clubs and those who gave it a chance definitely reaped the rewards. I feel like any attempt to revive the ‘Rushden Town’ name would in ways feel really detrimental to the history of our clubs. To me, and I know that not everyone agrees, but AFCR&D is the legacy of RTFC. As it is the legacy of Irthlingborough Diamonds, and RDFC. I know we often get the piss taken out of us for our various guises/names, but it really shouldn’t be that hard for people to understand the timeline of events (I know people/rivals take the piss to wind us up and I completely get that 🤣).

By Rushden Spartans changing their name to Rushden Town FC, I do feel like it comes with an ample degree of disrespect towards us. I don’t want this post to come across as salty or self-centred, but this is just my opinion. Having looked at the comments on the Facebook post linked above, it does seem that R&HUFC would also like to take up the name Rushden Town FC (if I’m reading it correctly). This does make more sense, given they play at Hayden Road, yet still wouldn’t sit right with me either. Although with that said, the comment does also mention the potential reopening of the main stand, which would be great seeing as we are likely to remain at Hayden Road for a while 🤣.

Enough of me rambling on. What does everyone think? They probably won’t even be able to name themselves Rushden Town FC but it’s definitely an interesting conversation.
Lee Tomlin la la la
STAGMAN
Been Liked: 13 times

Re: Rushden Spartans Proposed Name Change

Post by STAGMAN »

I see a side called Rushden Spartans appealing for players for next season and saying they are going to be playing in the Northants comb , this was on FB
Dbsl
Been Liked: 15 times

Post by Dbsl »

The Club were asked by the NFA for a response to the name change. If you are a member you can read the official response from the Club
rickthediamond

Post by rickthediamond »

Dbsl wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:15 pm The Club were asked by the NFA for a response to the name change. If you are a member you can read the official response from the Club
Ah, I'm glad the club have been consulted and have given a response. I will check the member's lounge now, thank you!
Lee Tomlin la la la
rickthediamond

Post by rickthediamond »

rickthediamond wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:46 pm
Dbsl wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:15 pm The Club were asked by the NFA for a response to the name change. If you are a member you can read the official response from the Club
Ah, I'm glad the club have been consulted and have given a response. I will check the member's lounge now, thank you!
Excellent response, I would imagine the NFA would see sense in this matter, as there is no logical reason that this 'Rushden Spartans' should be allowed the Rushden Town name. And as stated in the club's response, the name, if belonging to anybody, belongs to us.
Lee Tomlin la la la
SouthRushdenJFC
Has Liked: 42 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by SouthRushdenJFC »

rickthediamond wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:51 pmI would imagine the NFA would see sense in this matter
They don't usually.
Rushdenjim
Has Liked: 84 times
Been Liked: 13 times

Post by Rushdenjim »

The lads running Rushden Spartans are sound and I think their Idea is well intentioned but I have to agree with the club's response. The name has a history, a history that is held dear but those that, for the most part, followed the journey that entity went on through RDFC and now AFCRD. Just because the name isn't in active use now does not mean it can or should be simply picked up by a new entity.,
rickthediamond

Post by rickthediamond »

Rushdenjim wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:34 pm The lads running Rushden Spartans are sound and I think their Idea is well intentioned but I have to agree with the club's response. The name has a history, a history that is held dear but those that, for the most part, followed the journey that entity went on through RDFC and now AFCRD. Just because the name isn't in active use now does not mean it can or should be simply picked up by a new entity.,
I should mention that I actually wish those lads all the success in the world, providing sport and exercise opportunities to the community is fantastic. I just don’t agree with the name change, that’s all.
Lee Tomlin la la la
AFCRD_Dan
Has Liked: 101 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

I don’t personally know the guys behind Rushden Spartans, they may well be the nicest lads in the world, but them attempting to change their name to Rushden Town FC shows a complete lack of respect to our club, and the original Rushden Town. essentially from their statement it sounds like they are attempting to take the history of Rushden Town as their own. I hope the NFA see sense and reject their proposal.

AFC Rushden & Diamonds is a continuation of Rushden Town/Irthlingborough Diamonds and Rushden & Diamonds, it’s OUR history, not theirs.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 73