Minutes silence at ALL Conference games

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
ID

Minutes silence at ALL Conference games

Post by ID »

According to a post on Confforum, ALL Conference games (BSP, BSS, BSN) this Saturday will have a minute's silence before the game. In a change to the normal procedure players are being asked to stand in the centre circle in alternate order home/away/home/away etc as a sign of standing together side by side in times of tragedy.

Great gesture by the Conference.
RUSHDEN and DIAMONDS
Olly
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 110 times

Re: Minutes silence at ALL Conference games

Post by Olly »

Excellent gesture, I hope as many clubs around the country can do the same as well.
R.I.P. Dale Roberts

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 308
super noodles

Post by super noodles »

I really like that home/away/home/away idea . I hope it catches on. Fantastic gesture.
brads27

Post by brads27 »

davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Post by davealbon »

Olly wrote:Excellent gesture, I hope as many clubs around the country can do the same as well.
Confirmed at Forest v Palace on their official website as well as Swindon v Tranmere and Northwich v Retford according to supporters on Facebook.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
Sid
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by Sid »

Unfortunately there are currently only 4 BSP games still on tomorrow due to the weather, and I imagine the others will face inspections in the morning.
Hopefully the planned silences will be carried over to Boxing Day.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member - 101
ID

Post by ID »

At our next game there will be a minute's applause, rather than silence, at the request of Dale's family.

http://www.thediamondsfc.com/page/NewsD ... 07,00.html
RUSHDEN and DIAMONDS
coltrane

Post by coltrane »

Do you know I think that a minutes applause is better than a silence as it's a positive thing rather than negative. I think that the tradition started at Lady Di's funeral.
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Post by davealbon »

coltrane wrote:Do you know I think that a minutes applause is better than a silence as it's a positive thing rather than negative. I think that the tradition started at Lady Di's funeral.
The minutes applause was first introduced at football matches when George Best died, as the powers that be didn't think it was right to hold a silence for someone who drank himself to death and wasted two liver transplants in the process. Personally, I think it is a gimmick and isn't anywhere near as respectful as a whole football stadium falling silent.

I respect Dale's family's wishes though, and I understand your point about the applause being more positive, although I don't necessarily agree.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
DiamondsFan

Post by DiamondsFan »

I would prefer a silence. I just don't think its right applauding the fact that somebody has been taken so early.