GAME OFF

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
ID

Re: GAME OFF

Post by ID »

jimbobjaw wrote:Only slightly bad news of the day in terms of other games played is that Stevenage have won again. Although this means that Cambridge have not closed on us,, it does mean that catching Stevenage is further away. Probably good for us that it now puts more pressure on Oxford when we do come to eventually play them, as they are now no longer top, although they have a few games in hand.
To be honest I don't think we have any chance of catching Stevenage (or Oxford), whereas I see Cambridge as a threat, despite their poor first half of the season...
RUSHDEN and DIAMONDS
Jemfy

Post by Jemfy »

It doesn't overly affect us apart from Cambridge's season is now pretty much over, a shame we have already played them twice achieving only 2 pts when sides left to play them may now face a weaker side as they save some money by cashing in now, Tonkin meant to be joining Oxford on Monday so we will perhaps see him 4 times this season, possibly 5 or 6 if we meet Oxford in the Trophy (assumption that he played both times against us). Holroyd will get bids too obviously.

Depending on other results between now and whenever the games get scheduled for then it might put extra pressure on Oxford, which could go either way. It does reduce Oxford's chances of going up slightly, which could be a good thing for us financially should Stevenage get promoted ahead of Oxford (York taking top spot would be best but also unlikely) based on attendances from away fans as well as geographically for our travelling fans.

I do note that the weather forecast for Workington is last meant to be above freezing on Wednesday morning. http://www.weather-forecast.com/locatio ... sts/latest. I wouldn't get up hopes of playing a first team game before the 16th. In fact I would already be looking at potential opponents for a midweek pracitce game between now and then to keep some match fitness up. I can only see a second postponment on the tuesday night agaisnt Workington as well. Am I correct in thinking if the game gets postponed 3 times it goes to a neutral venue or to our place?
rudolph_hucker

Post by rudolph_hucker »

It was funny though watching a few Poxford supporters driving back home at 14.30.
You're knocked out with who I am,
Look at you now, you're all in my hands.
johno

Post by johno »

I helped remove the covers and a lunchtime kick off would have been no problem at all. As already stated though the frostier side of the pitch would not have improved as it got dark and the temperature dropped so some common sense has been used.

What did annoy me was how the shutters came down in strikers the second the game was called off. The place was packed full of Oxford fans who were happy to stay for a couple of drinks but their protests fell on deaf ears.
DAB

Post by DAB »

Indeed, Diamondsforever last response is correct. The pitch was playable when the covers were first lifted but the south stand continued to put the last quarter of the pitch under shade. The feezing conditions meant that this area did not get any better in fact it got slightly worse. The referee working with the two managers assessed and agreed the cancellation. My understading was that chief on their minds was the continued worsening of the pitch during the game which could have meant abondonment. Imagine if we were or Oxford were 1.0 up at the time and with well over 3000 expected managing that situation could be very difficult.

PS although Strikers was closed supporters were invited up to Kimberly where food was also available
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 25 times
Been Liked: 35 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

Thanks for that DAB. Do you think that if the covers had been left on the shaded area until (say 2.15pm), that the pitch would have been more playable to completion of the the game?
AFC R & D member number 34
Harry

Post by Harry »

Irish Diamond wrote:
jimbobjaw wrote:Only slightly bad news of the day in terms of other games played is that Stevenage have won again. Although this means that Cambridge have not closed on us,, it does mean that catching Stevenage is further away. Probably good for us that it now puts more pressure on Oxford when we do come to eventually play them, as they are now no longer top, although they have a few games in hand.
To be honest I don't think we have any chance of catching Stevenage (or Oxford), whereas I see Cambridge as a threat, despite their poor first half of the season...

That's exactly how I looked at it too ID.
Diamond down South.
timbo2251

Post by timbo2251 »

I am really gutted. This would of been the last game untill next christmas time. So angry when i found out. Lucky they gave me the money back.
You make me happy when skies are grey,
You'll never notice how much i love you,
So please don't take my Rushden away...