[ Tue 20th Oct ] v Fleet Town, KO 7:45pm SL1DC HOME

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Re: [ Tue 20th Oct ] v Fleet Town, KO 7:45pm SL1DC HOME

Post by Trek »

Final word on attendances. We've seen before that Tuesday night's are generally poorly attended whether it was against Bugbrooke or Fleet for a whole host of reasons, modern life, fans having other commitments outside football, people working longer hours, unable to attend for family commitments, unable to get here in time from work, parents unwilling to bring children on a school night, virtually zero away fans, the draw of live football on television etc etc.
A throw away comment that fans 'are disappointed' doesn't add to the discussion, that's why I posted up the link to the current SLIC. We are lucky to enjoy good attendances for Step 4 football. There will be chairmen of clubs in our league doing 'triple somersaults' if they got a crowd of 322 for a Saturday afternoon fixture never mind on a cold Tuesday night.

As for the St Modwen development work, I agree it's a royal pain in arse, and something that has concerned me since my first involvement, on behalf of our club, with the developers submission of the planning application 18 months ago. I know that Darren and Mark, in particular, alongside WTFC are doing their upmost to manage matters with the developer and their contractors on a day to day basis to ensure the minimum disruption to the two clubs and fans visiting on match days and the current highway work is a particular concern from a health and safety point of view. However, I do not believe that this is currently impacting on attendances.
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Post by davealbon »

I can understand people being disappointed with the attendances at times. We all knew that attendances would drop once the initial buzz and excitement of the new club wore off, but I had hoped that climbing the leagues would help negate that, especially with us enjoying such a fantastic start to life in the Southern League. I wasn't too disappointed when I heard the attendance last night, as it was around what I was expecting, but seeing that we were 6% down on the Kempston attendance at the same point last season was disappointing.

Comparing our gates to anyone else at this level, or any level to be honest, is meaningless. We are AFC R&D, owned by the fans, and can only go as high as our fanbase can take us. The fact that our attendances are slowly falling is concerning, and while it's not worth panicking about at this stage, why should someone be criticised for making that observation?
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
Bob's Bitch
Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by Bob's Bitch »

I agree with Dave, I don't think anyone should be criticised for pointing out that attendances are slipping, even if that's only 10-15%. Over the course of a season that's a lot of money for the club. I don't care what attendances Egham or Hanwell are getting, that's not comparing like with like. If you need to make a comparison it should be with Corby and K*ttering.

I'm also disappointed with some of the crowds this season, especially since we're a game-in-hand off the top of the league. Even the FA Cup crowd was a bit low compared with Cambridge City a couple of years ago. Bigger attendances means bigger budget or bigger profit for the club. We all want that, so what's wrong with pointing out that things aren't perfect on that front? We should always be striving for greater attendances.
R.I.P Dale. We will never forget you.

AFC R&D - Member No. 46
corby diamond
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by corby diamond »

Well said bb and Dave!!
AFC Rushden and Diamonds Membership Number - 60
updiamonds

Post by updiamonds »

I agree the attendances dropping is a bit concerning. I know some people don't like mentioning about attendances, but if mentioning about attendances increases the attendance, then it's worth while.
Pigman
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 35 times

Post by Pigman »

updiamonds wrote:I agree the attendances dropping is a bit concerning. I know some people don't like mentioning about attendances, but if mentioning about attendances increases the attendance, then it's worth while.
Winning on Saturday will put the club on the map and increase attendances - no pressure lads ;)
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
updiamonds

Post by updiamonds »

Pigman wrote:
updiamonds wrote:I agree the attendances dropping is a bit concerning. I know some people don't like mentioning about attendances, but if mentioning about attendances increases the attendance, then it's worth while.
Winning on Saturday will put the club on the map and increase attendances - no pressure lads ;)

I 110% agree with you. 8-)

Come on Diamonds, let's win on Saturday.
rudolph_hucker

Post by rudolph_hucker »

It won't matter if they win or lose on Saturday. I can name at least five supporters that don't bother anymore. I only pop along now and then for the matey banter.
You're knocked out with who I am,
Look at you now, you're all in my hands.
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 25 times
Been Liked: 35 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

rudolph_hucker wrote:It won't matter if they win or lose on Saturday. I can name at least five supporters that don't bother anymore. I only pop along now and then for the matey banter.
That's a shame they can't be bothered but that's hardly the club's fault. We're putting a winning team on the pitch and if that can't persuade ex Supporters along what can we do?
AFC R & D member number 34
UttoDiamond

Post by UttoDiamond »

Lee, can I ask why they aren't coming along anymore? Is it prices? Family-Life? Work? Because surely it can't be the football being played - Tuesday night was great entertainment!
AFC R&D Member Number 444