Democracy in action !!

Sports, jokes, news and general waffle.
Pigman
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 35 times

Democracy in action !!

Post by Pigman »

This guy is the Speaker of the House of Commons, John Bercow, he is the Conservative MP for the Constituency my mum lives in.

Now, she has just received a leaflet basically telling her that as he is Speaker, the Labour and Lib Dems won't contest the seat in the next general election - so basically, she doesn't have a right to vote in the forthcoming election, well not for one of the 3 main parties anyway.

Wikipedia says:

General elections
At a general election (if the current Speaker contests that election) the major political parties normally do not contest the Speaker's seat and he is entitled to describe himself on the ballot as "The Speaker seeking re-election", under the Political Parties, Elections and Referendums Act.

Bercow, in the recent expenses row, was accused of flipping his homes and not paying capital gains tax on £143k profi, and of claiming £1k for tax advice !!! Shouldn't the locals decide if this is the man they want to represent them at the big house????

I hope the locals vote for the Monster Raving Looney Party enmasse and vote the bugger out.......................my mum lives in Buckinghamshire so its the safest Tory seat going, but its still wrong in my opinion, irrespective of what party the Speaker represents.
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
jimbobjaw

Re: Democracy in action !!

Post by jimbobjaw »

Couldn't agree more Pigman! That is shocking that just because he is the speaker he gets to carry on the job, and not allow the people of that constituency a vote. Surely it should be a seat that is harder fought, as there would be the possibility that he is devoting too much time to being speaker, and not enough to looking after his constiuents?
wewantourdarbyback

Post by wewantourdarbyback »

Love it, no one has ever cared about how the role of the speaker works (he's a member of no party btw) but as soon as an expenses scandal comes up that everyone can get hypocritical suddenly the system's crooked.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 354

You could have 140 years of no achievement, or twenty years of glorious victories, you decide.

One Dale Roberts.

Twitter
Pigman

Post by Pigman »

wewantourdarbyback wrote:Love it, no one has ever cared about how the role of the speaker works (he's a member of no party btw) but as soon as an expenses scandal comes up that everyone can get hypocritical suddenly the system's crooked.
How can I be classed as hypocrite? (by the way,that is a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings) - I don't give a stuff what party he belongs to, its just jobs for the boys isn't it? My mum didn't elect him as Speaker, yet she can't turf him out of his job as an MP because they won't give her the democratic vote to do so - its outrageous in a so called democracy !!! How can you possibly defend that system???? Its corrupt to the core !!!
PhilM2

Post by PhilM2 »

Role on the 2nd Republic :D :D
Pigman

Post by Pigman »

PhilM2 wrote:Role on the 2nd Republic :D :D
My vote goes to the lass in my avatar - I wouldn't give a toss how many little skimpy tops she claimed on her expenses.............there, now THAT'S being a hypocrite !!! :D
PhilM2

Post by PhilM2 »

PigmanRDFC wrote:
PhilM2 wrote:Role on the 2nd Republic :D :D
My vote goes to the lass in my avatar - I wouldn't give a toss how many little skimpy tops she claimed on her expenses.............there, now THAT'S being a hypocrite !!! :D

Hey, I've got a pair of scissors like that !! :D :oops: ;)
Pigman

Post by Pigman »

Been trying to get a pair of scissors to this lass, but she won't stay still long enough lol

Better stop now or I'll get into twubble :D
PhilM2

Post by PhilM2 »

PigmanRDFC wrote:Been trying to get a pair of scissors to this lass, but she won't stay still long enough lol

Better stop now or I'll get into twubble :D
One of my colleagues sent me that one a few months ago as a demonstration of "simple harmonic motion". French engineers take a keen interest in fundamental physics. :D
Bob's Bitch
Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by Bob's Bitch »

To be honest though in this constituency (Buckingham) it's now a fight between John Bercow, the Speaker, and the second most annoying c*nt in right wing politics, Nigel Farage. If the people of Buckingham return Farage to Parliament I will personally inflict great damage on their lives with an assault rifle.
R.I.P Dale. We will never forget you.

AFC R&D - Member No. 46