Sileby Rangers

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Noddy

Sileby Rangers

Post by Noddy »

So how good are they?

Having gone to their game against Wootton Blue Cross last night, I expected Sileby to dominate, but it was Wootton who played the better football for a lot of the game, just lacking that final ball on so many occasions. You wouldn’t recognise them from the side which we played on Saturday, yet they still conceded five goals. Sileby did very little considering their League position, but were totally clinical in front of goal (they won 5-2). They wait for the inevitable errors from their opponents and pounce. With Michael Byrne and Rob Foster up front, they chase down, are quick and a handful for any defence and definitely the most potent attack force in the League (sorry Alfie and Jake).

First Sileby goal was from a Wootton corner – quick break out of defence – ball up to Byrne – goal.
Second was a miskick by Wootton defender straight to Byrne – goal.
Third was a keeper clearance (yes the same keeper!) - completely missed the ball on the edge of the area, then slipped allowing Byrne an open goal.
Fourth was another defensive mistake – Mark Redding clear on goal squeezed ball in at near post.
Fifth was from a free kick on the half way line which everyone thought had been awarded to Wootton, only for it to be given to Sileby. Taken quickly to Byrne totally catching out the Wootton defence - goal.
In amongst all of that was a debatable penalty which Byrne missed.

Without Byrne, I think they would have struggled to get the three points which demonstrates what a good signing that was for them.

Several former Diamonds played including Darren Watts in goal – now 39. Not as agile now but some good distribution and a good assist for the first goal. Kevin Slinn also came on as a sub, while Tim Wooding was in the dugout.

I left thinking how on earth did that happen, but hats off to them if that’s how they normally play. The comedy of errors made it quite entertaining for the 40 or so people there (and we complain about our attendance!). It might just have been an off-day for Sileby, but they never panicked and with a lot of luck made it look easy in the end. I would say Oadby Town look a far better team despite losing on Saturday. I did think that no-one could possibly catch Sileby, but I’ll be surprised if they don’t drop a few points before the end of the season.

They play Rothwell Corinthians at the weekend followed by two games against Buckingham Town, away and home. I would be interested to hear from anyone else who has seen them this season.
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Re: Sileby Rangers

Post by Trek »

They've beaten Rothwell already in the league but have also been beaten twice in two cup competitions by them so perhaps they can do us a favour.
Our two league defeats this season have been at the hands of two clubs, Eynesbury and Oadby who were far more clinical in front of goal and this is an aspect of our play that we must continue to improve.
diamondphil

Re: Sileby Rangers

Post by diamondphil »

I think I might just pop over to Rothwell on Saturday and take in the game.

Weather permitting, not going all the way over there to get wet and cold! :oops:
I feel sorry for people who don't drink................when they wake up in the morning, that's the best they're going to feel all day.